1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightweight bass amp for Underwood p/u - recommend?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by andyjevans, Feb 28, 2016.

1. andyjevans

andyjevans

Jul 18, 2010
    I'm looking for a small, light and cheapish bass amp for my upright, which has an Underwood pickup. This would be to play jazz. I have a 15" speaker cab, 8 ohms.

I'm in the UK, in case anyone can recommend places to buy such an amp.

I don't want to throw money at this, since I build tube amps as a hobby, and will eventually build something myself - at least a small preamp. Might need it soonish for a rehearsal band.

All recommendations welcome, including ideas for separate preamps/tone controls and power amps.

2. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    GK MB200. Game over on the cheap.

3. andyjevans

andyjevans

Jul 18, 2010
    That's about the right price point - £200-300ish How does the GK MB200 stack up against the Markbass Little Mark 250? Or the TC BH250? The Tonehammer 350 gets recommended but that's over £400. What others should I be considering?

4. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    I will join thread, to not create similar one.
    I am using David Gage Realist on my DB. I may change it to Full Circle in nearest future. I think the best portable combo may be Phil Jones Super Flightcase, but it's quite expensive.
    What do you think about Gallien Krueger MB112? Should it work with these pickups? Or maybe you can recommend something else?
    Or should I save more money and buy Phil Jones?

5. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    I really like the MB200 head and the GK MB combos for DB, they get a nice neutral tone that seems to fit DB well. That said, these and the other amps mentioned here lack a couple key features out of the box. None have the super-high 10Mohm input impedance, although the 1Mohm on the GK should be fine for a hot bridge wing pickup like the Underwood. Personally, for a DB amp I think the two most important things if you plan on pushing the volume loud are a phase-reverse swtich and a high pass filter, and for most amps that means running a pre-amp. The Fdeck HPF-pre is the perfect pair for the GK MB200, IMHO. it costs 50 bucks, has the super high 10Mohm imput, and the phase / HPF features without coloring the signal at all. Unfortunately, these are only available in the US due to electronics regulations. Other more full-featured preamps that have these features include the headway edb-2, the baggs Para-DI, and Fishman Platinum.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  6. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    @HateyMcAmp
    I can see two interesting GK combos MB 112-II (12", 200W for $400) and MB150S-112 (12", 100W for $700).
    Second one has half power, but is almost as twice expensive. Is sound quality is so much better on MB150S?

7. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    I used to own the MB150S and a MB150E, as well as a MB200 head I used with a wizzy 10. I think the price difference relates to a couple things.

1- When the original MB series came out, they were one of the only "small but loud enough for gigging" amps on the market besides the Walter Woods stuff. They were pretty much the only game in town at the time and were priced as such. When the new, cheaper class D stuff came out, they didn't cut the price for the new market.

2- The MB150S is a quite thin all-metal cab design, while the new stuff is a standard plywood combo with a bigger footprint. They are really built like tanks and if you expect to put the thing under serious abuse the extra cash may well be worth it. IIRC, the the new MB combos may actually weigh less than the old MBs, but the bigger size makes them more cumbersome to carry.

3- As for sound, I found the MB150S and MB200 head preamps to be pretty similar and usable for DB, although the MB150S had an effects loop and built-in limiter. If you plan on using a preamp as the "head" and the amp itself as a powered speaker, the effects loop is important for a 100% true bypass. The 150E also had built in effects and was much more "scooped" sounding.

I will say I'm no amp expert, so if anyone else has input on these amps, please chime in!

Michal Herman likes this.
  8. andyjevans

andyjevans

Jul 18, 2010
    In my case I'm after just the head. I spoke to some of the UK retailers today and the most popular heads for upright appear to be the TH350 or TH500 as the preferred option, and the Markbass Little Mark 3 as a good seller. Both were considered to have a softer and warmer tone for upright than the TC BH250 or the Eden WTX264 which were also mentioned, but considered too clean sounding. Nobody I spoke to stocked GK, though there are dealers here and the MB200 is good value. EBS could be interesting - don't know much about them, but they're very clean sounding and have lots of tone controls. Really like the YT sound samples. They're Swedish, and have fans here in Europe. Haven't yet found much online about how they go with an upright, but the input impedance is 1 Meg (HD350) and 2 Meg (Reidmar250) which is promising since the Underwood likes to see 1 Meg.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  9. Harry Monkley

Harry Monkley

Jan 16, 2016
    Just a thought, but has anyone tried the fender rumble 100 v3 combo for upright - it has hi&low mid controls, is light weight and very affordable (same sort of money as as MB200 head). I'd been considering it as a possible stopgap option to tide me over until I can afford a decent upright amp.