1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightweight bass to save my back

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sillysoviet, Oct 2, 2009.

1. sillysoviet

sillysoviet

Nov 14, 2007
    New York, NY
    Anyone know what's available today that might approach the weight of the 60's vintage Fender Jazz or P basses, have that huge sound, but not have that choking price point?

Looking for something lighter than the 9-pound bass I have that sounds great but always leads to back stiffness after rehearsal.

Thanks.

2. you could just do what I did: Put a new bridge (a big one) and seymour duncan "Hot for P-bass pickups in a Jay Turser P-bass copy. Sounds pretty darn good! Plus, It's super super super lightweight.

3. thumpybumper

thumpybumper

Dec 5, 2008
    lakland hollowbody perhaps? or any hollowbody really. i have an old vox apollo i'm looking to sell eventually, it's extremely lightweight...

4. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    Fender Road Worn basses are really light weight & sound great.

You could also try swapping the body for that Warmoth "chambered" body - dunno how that will affect the tone, though. Probably somewhere between a solid body & a hollow body.

5. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    sound gear by ibby, every time i pick mine out of the stand i always over do it a bit expecting it to weight as much as my squire p

6. p12bassnut

p12bassnut Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2009
    DFW Metroplex
    Skjold ! Light and very versatile tone options :hyper:

7. This Jay Turser JTB-401 weighed about 6.5 pounds new. I added a bridge cover and put 11 oz. of adhesive weight under the cover...making the total weight not quite 7.5 pounds, and balancing out well. Not bad for under $200 for the bass and all the parts.

P8180425.

The chrome racing stripe is auto striping tape.

PB220355.

PB220353.

OR - you can always pick up an Epi EB-0 and add a bridge pickup. There's room for the mod, and you'll have a light short-scale bass that balances properly.

8. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I am always amazed at how much more my EB-0 weighs than my Birdsong... I did just that... got one cheap... added 2 additional pups... but the EB-0 seems a little weighty...

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've played EB-0s that are fairly heavy and others that are very light, it's been about 50-50.

10. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    This might not be up your alley visually, but it's only 8lbs.

[​IMG]

I've also owned a Peavey Millennium USA 4-string before that weighed about 8lbs.

11. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    I have two Fender US Deluxe basses which are very light (both have alder bodies, I don't know about the ash Deluxe). But they have active electronics...

12. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Callowhill, 4 string should come in around 6.5. Sadowsky, about the same. Each of those basses sound huge, very much like the older Fenders.

13. Hofner Icon. Weighs about 5 lbs.

14. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    What is "that choking price point". What kind of budget are we talking about here?

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    How about $2500 for a used Sadowsky NYC? How much is too much?

16. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Danelectro Longhorn? Big sound out of a little thing that both weighs and costs next to zilch...

17. sillysoviet

sillysoviet

Nov 14, 2007
    New York, NY
    Again this forum just amazes me. Thanks so much to all of you for the input. I'm subscribing now for sure.

To me, the Lakland or Epi basses look most interesting. Now to find a shop that has them...

18. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Many American Fender P-Basses are under 9lbs. I have a 2008 P that is 8.5 lb. Current American Jazz basses, though, tend to be at or a little over than 9 lb.

The new Fender Road Worn series (Jazz and Precision) are know for being super light.

19. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore