Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lightweight bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tragicmagic, Jun 5, 2002.

1. hi all,

I was wonderring if anyone could recommend a light, but decent bass? I've had a recent injury to my lower back don't think I can withstand a 45 minute set with a tree log (at least it feels that heavy) strapped on.
    My current bass is a 4 string epi les paul standard, passive humbucker pickups (it was inexpensive, but it sounds darn good.)

Also any suggestions on a light rig that doesn't sacrifice in the way of tone/power?

My current is a genz benz gbe 250c 1x12 combo (tube preamp, 330 watts with an extension cab) and an avatar b115 extension cab. I'm thinking a separate head/cab will make loading a bit more manageable, despite having more pieces (the 1x12 combo is over 70 lbs)

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The MTD Kingstons are light as a feather, despite the five-string being a 35" scale with full jazz-style string spacing.

Pedulla Raptures are both light and tiny. They sound good.

Have you thought about a hollowbody, eg. Godin A4, Carvin AC40, Rob Allen, Turner Renaissance? These all come in at or uner 7 lbs.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Fender P-Lyte was a very lightweight bass, with a basswood body. It had a P/J configuration with active electronics and a nice solid bridge. And a Jazz sized neck. You can pick used ones up for a decent price. Fender has replaced it with the Deluxe Zone bass, which is similar, but I don't know how much they weigh.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you got the pockets, Sadowskys are pretty light, and if you're looking for a fretless, a Rob Allen is nothing.

If not such deep pockets, a Kingston is indeed pretty light...

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Still can't get over it :rolleyes:...when the doubleneck was shipped,
    I was checkin' the FedEx tracking page (like every 5 minutes :p ).
    Got so focused on, "o.k., left Cali then, NOW where the #$*% is it?!?",
    that I never noticed this li'l bit o' data...

Total Shipping Weight: 11 lbs.

:eek: Holy hoppin' french fries! You take away a pound or so for the
    box and a gazillion peanuts, maybe another pound for the gig bag...
    a doubleneck bass that weighs around 10 pounds [​IMG].

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Have one built by USA Custom.

www.usacustomguitars.com

i just ordered a neck and body from Tommy, and i specified it to be very light cause that's my preference. Tommy's sucha cool guy, i'm sure that if you told him your back problem, he'd more than find a neck/body to accomodate you. shouldnt cost more than $500. electronics and hardware might run you anywhere from $75-$300. and labor for a tech to assemble it is around $300. for about $1100, you could have a kickbutt custom jazz or precision style bass made for you.

rig wise, like you've been thinking, i'd just break everything down to their essential parts, and get a separate head or rack, and separate cabs. Also, i cant stress this enough, but get a handtruck or dolly. you'd be amazed how easy your rig becomes!

there are many lightweight heads like Eden's WT400+ which cranks 400 watts and weighs 15 lbs. Or EA's iAMP350 which weighs the same, and cranks 350 watts.

or you could go modular with a lightweight rack setup. most preamps weigh 5-10 lbs. and a nice QSC PLX power amp weighs 21 lbs.

cabwise, i'd stick with with a 1x12. very balanced sounding, and many average in weight around 40 lbs. a pair of these push as much volume as a 4x10. if you're looking for a 15" and have the money, Bergantino and Epifani make 15" cabs taht weigh only 50-60 lbs unlike their heavier competitors. Ampeg just released its "PortaBass" series cabs. their 1x12's weigh only 23 lbs. and includes a built in dolly handle & wheels for easy carting.

7. thanks for the suggestions! right now i'm leaning towards the mtd kingston 4, perhaps the kingston heir. Anyone know exactly how many lbs they weigh in at?

where can I get the best deal on em?

8. Get a cort 3535 !

I've got a squier P-bass and the 3535.. the 3535 is about half the weight of the P-bass.. and that's a 5'er !

it has a very lightweight swamp assh body.. lots of tone, little weight.

9. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i love my mtd heir... so much more versatile than the kingston!
    it honestly feels 50% lighter than my peavey cirrus.
    couldn't tell you how many pounds exactly, though...
    you should email mike tobias via his website.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Light bass = BassLab

end of that story

11. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I have seen acoustic g**tars on a kind of stand. Mayby you can try to find a stand to put your bass on (in a 'playing' position)

12. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Reverend!

13. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    older steinbergers are great basses.

check this one out on ebay.

steinberger