Lightweight bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    I've got problem with my back (as well as my spelling)
    so I wonder if anyone know any lightweight, godsounding
    4 or 5 str bass brand/modell
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Try an MTD Kingston or Heir. Killer sounds, great playability and VERY light weight

Mike Dimin
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    my G&L is made of swamp ash and is lighweight.

as said by Mike Dimin those are really light. they are made with basswood a real light wood. look for some basswood made basses!
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    My elrick weighs about 6 1/2lbs... and it plays and sounds excellent
  5. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Ibanez basses are pretty light. I had two Elricks for a short while. The New Jazz Standard was about 9 lbs., the Gold 5 was 7+ lbs. I have more experience with the back breakers like Warwick and MM.
  6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

The basswood bodies are very light. Swamp Ash is variable. My MTD 435 is Swamp Ash is not particularly light and other Ash body basses I've had were lighter. Rob Elrick makes a beautiful bass and depending on the materials can be light weight.

It might help if you give an idea of your budget as each of the three instruments mentioned are in very different price structures. If you are going custom with a builder like Elrick or MTD (american Series not the Kingston or Heir previously mentioned), you can specify a light weight body.

7. Rob Allen MB-2. Played one the other week. Felt like nothing on my shoulder. About 6.5 pounds. Awesome sound too, though I only played the fretless.

8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    yarrrrgh! Ya beat me to it GsG! :D

two for the price of...several :p --

(less than 11 pounds :eek: )
  9. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Maybe try a Reverend?
    Basswood is also light as are some alder basses (my alder Carvin was very light).

10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Parker fly beat's em all
  11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Another vote for Elrick, I haven't weighed mine yet (Platinum singlecut neckthrough 5), but I was told under 8 lbs by the seller (feels about right). Other weights (I broke down and bought a digital fish weigher):

6.38 lbs., Rob Allen MB-2 5, swamp ash
    8.25 lbs., Sukop 5, mahogany (?)
    8.50 lbs., Lakland dxl 55, swamp ash
    8.75 lbs., '75P (?, original black)
    8.81 lbs., Pedulla Rapture 5, maple body
    8.88 lbs., '66J (alder? Originally sunburst)
    9.06 lbs., Steinberger Spirit 5, maple
    9.38 lbs., Roscoe SKB 3005, Spanish Cedar
    9.63 lbs., Roscoe LG 3005, unknown body
    9.69 lbs., Roscoe LG 3005, burl myrtle body

I have very recently decided that the most important factor for me is weight, followed by feel, tone, versatility, looks. Used to be tone, looks, versatility, & weight. I have just spent 5 years of GAS looking for the sound (found it in Roscoes) only to find I can no longer hold over 9 lbs for 4 hour gigs, and fell in love with fretless along the way. I already got rid of the heaviest Roscoe (wasn't easy).

You folks with good backs, enjoy the heavyweights while you can!

BTW, being semi-hollow doesn't necessarily mean light, my Warwick Infinity 5 was appx. 9.5 lbs.
  12. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    BassLab 2.3~3.5kg(5.5~7.7lb)
    Danelectro are light too.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have had very bad back problems, but I still make tone my primary consideration, when choosing a bass.

I think that the slight differences in weight you are talking about, have very little effect on your back, compared to things like technique and a good strap.

So - the Comfort Strapp made a big difference to me in dealing with back pain and of course the other big thing is to make sure that you are always standing perfectly straight when playing.

If you have the bass too low on the strap and need to bend forward, this does have a big impact on your back - the higher the better!!

Of course the ultimate solution is :

ZERO weight on your shoulders/back!!

Impossible? No - just play an upright bass. So I have a Ned Steinberger electric upright and it just stands there - you don't even have to have it leaning on you - no weight on your back at all, and it is adjustable to any height, to avoid bending too far!! :)
  14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Fender P-Lyte, with a basswood body.
  15. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Or, if you are a fanatic "horisontal" player: :cool:
  16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Bruce, I hear you. Sometimes my comm. skill aren't the best; however, if you look at my collection, they've all got great to fantastic tone (with the exception of the Spirit, which does have a decent sound). What I meant my point to be is that weight is now a major criterion when I look at new instruments. I do use a Comfort Strapp, but still, after 45 minutes with the Warwick, it felt like a cement block had been hanging off of my shoulder, so off it went. Of course, that one had a combination of weight and neck heaviness. In any case I can definitely tell the difference between basses, especially during late or extended sets.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can understand what you mean with Warwicks - I like the tone of the Streamers, but have tried several and found the necks too thick and overall they were pretty heavy.
  18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
  19. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Tried a Status Stealth 5 string yesterday. graphite neck, with a cool carbon fiber weave top.

Punchy sounding, and unbelievably light. I'd bet the bass doesn't weigh more than 6.5lbs.

Another great light bass are the custom Rick Turners. he was making them out of Topanga Canyon in the mid 90s. They're largely similar to the Renaissance series production models today. THey tipped the scales at 6lbs.
  20. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    My 55-94 Classic weighs 8 lbs. I had a MM5 that weighed 11.5 lbs. Ouch, my back hurts just thinking about it again. My chiropractor liked the fact I had the MM5. :D