Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lightweight bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lilly, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Lilly

Lilly

Feb 3, 2003
    Im a woman bass player. I now own a fender jazz bass { Mexico} I love it, but it's extremely heavy for me and the body is large. Im petite and I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for a lighter bass. Thanks

2. I've got a Yamaha RBX760A that's very lightweight compared to my P-bass. Used you can pick one up for $300 or so. Looks good, pretty good tone and sustain, active pickups.

I've heard the Reverends are also pretty lightweight but haven't played one. They are pricier than the Yamaha.

It also helps to get a good comfortable wide leather strap, but of course that can't compensate entirely.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

If money's no object :rolleyes: -- Rob Allen :D.

The long scale's about 6½ lbs, and the "new" short scale
    Mouse is ~5½ lbs. They can run from ~$1,500 to $2,000+.

The Yamaha RBX series is pretty light (AND much less $$$).
    I haven't tried the Agathis body RBX170 yet -- very low priced.

4. My fiance had the same problem.

She went with the Yamaha RBX-something-or-otther (can't remember the model number).

She finds it much lighter.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The MTD Kingstons are very light

Mike Dimin

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One of your feminine colleagues, Rana Ross, uses a Hohner because it is quite lightweight (and sounds pretty doggone good when she plays it).

Tina Weymouth has used Hofner, but those are pricey.

Sheryl Crowe, who is about 5'3" and skinny as a rail, used a hollow body Guild last time I saw her.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A bass that's not too cheap, but light as a feather and sounds fantastic is Elrick. If you can afford one, go try one out. It may just sway you towards one.;)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Agreed. My 4 string Elrick E-Volution is damn near weightless.

9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I would recommend the Music Yo Steinbergers.
    Small body, neck through design, great balance, and very light weight. I have a Cort headless with Bartolini pickups and I constantly receive compliments from other bassists on its tone. It has been a lifesaver for my banged up left shoulder on long gigs. :)

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    My Elrick, Sukop, Lakland, and Pedulla Rapture are all closer to 8 lbs than 9, the Rob Allen is 6 1/2. The '66 Jazz and '75 P are also both under 9 lbs. Another issue to consider is neck dive, it can make a medium weight bass feel very heavy.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i would have to second the Rob Allen if price isn't imporant. If price is an issue then I would recommend the Kingston.

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    BENAVENTE!

I've got a singlecut-4. I think it's less than 7 pounds. I hear that Elrick basses are light too.

13. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Another vote for the MTD Kingston. Light as a feather compared to my P.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, I'm amazed that a relatively normal sized instrument like that weighs so little.

The lightest bass I've ever owned was a U.S. Washburn XB900 with a swamp ash body. It couldn't have been more than 7 pounds. Very underrated bass, if you like the Stingray thing.

15. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

At bunnybass there's a page dedicated to the question of "basses for girls". If you haven't run across it check it out, it might have some useful info.

The Dean Rhapsody HB I just picked up is pretty light.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Epiphone Jack Casady Bass light and the best round tone

17. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
  18. Lilly

Lilly

Feb 3, 2003
    Thanks everyone for your input on light basses. I have the feeling it's not going to be easy parting with my heavy Fender jazz bass. Someone said a Fender precision lite may be the answer. Since im prety new @ this, is there a big difference between a p and a j bass? I know they're expensive, I would try for a used one. Also if you have any further comments about a Fender zone? Thanks