1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

lightweight basses for bad backs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgwatts, Apr 26, 2006.

1. I've got a mild back problem. So,Naturaly I don't want to make it worse. What do you recommend for lightweight basses? All price ranges. I already know(and actually LIKE Dano's,I'm a freak ,I admit that:eek: ),But what else is out there? I've seen some Jazz basses under 8 pounds.What else y'all got for me?:D

2. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Rob Allen.

3. p5string

p5string

Aug 21, 2004
    Webster, NY
    Try a Pedulla

4. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I beg to differ but Pedullas are not on the light side. They are maple-bodied and maple is relatively heavy.
    I own a Thunderbolt 4, and while not too heavy, it is heavier than many 4 strings I tried. The sound is amazing though and it plays "deliciously".

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky NYC or if you are into it a Hofner.

6. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Never tried one, but you could take all of the weight off of your back with a Barker bass.

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Skjold! Incredible tone, Very lightweight and very comfortable design.
    Highly, highly recommended.

8. +1 :D

9. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    The NOFX fan inside of me is saying dan electro for some odd reason :).

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I just switched to Sadowsky from Warwick for the same reason.

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Most Zon Sonus are nice and light.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Skjolds and Sadowsky NYC's are the lightest basses that still 'sound like basses' I've ever played. Rob Allen is also wonderful, but that's a very specialized instrument (DB-like sounding EB).

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i highly recommend having a bass built from warmoth or USA custom parts.

on the warmoth site, specs on each body is given, and anything under 4 lbs. would make for a lightweight bass of about 8-9 lbs.

simply buy all the parts you need and take it to a trusted tech to assemble for you. i had my very first bass done this way, and with a tech charging $150 for assembly, the bass in total cost about $1000. i got exactly what i wanted, and my back and wallet have thanked me eversince.

14. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I sympathize with you.. Have the same trouble only mine extends to my hip as well (car accident).. Lulls are a good bet. I have a sweet jazz that's under 9 pounds...

Sadowsky basses as already mentioned are a great choice as well (some may say the -only- choice! :smug: )..

15. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I suffer from lower subluxation myself. Here is from personal experience:

Kubicki factors are very light. 9 lbs or under. They are also the most ergonomically correct bass I have ever played. Another suggestion is the japanese Ibanez SR's made of basswood. Just sold one-- very light for a 5-er or for any bass.

ALso, my TBC is very light and it is a 5-er. Probably due to the chambered body so cheeck out their 4's. And on chambered bodies, add to that Reverend basses if you can find them!

Lastly, Steinbergers are small and thus light. The old graphite ones are the lightest but the Spirits are ok too. ANy headless bass for that matter will save you some weight.

Good luck.

16. Zons are a great choice. Either the Sonus or the Vinny models are the lightest. I had a Sonus that weighed less than seven lbs. Another interesting choice is the Parker Fly Bass. Even lighter, less expensive and a lot of interesting sounds. Good luck, I've got 3 herniated discs myself so I know what you're going through.
    Peace

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Others that haven't already been suggested:

MTD Kingston/Saratoga.

Pedulla Rapture.

Any Elrick.

Cheapie Yamaha RBXs.

Lightest Fenders I've tried are the Urge II and the Aerodynes.

18. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Peavey Cirrus, Fury QT, and Millenniums tend to be fairly light. That's why I play them. Also make sure you are using a good strap that is at least 3" wide. There are excellent neoprene and leather straps with that width that will make a world of difference for you as well.

19. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    If you can stand the styling (IMO, it looks like someone asked a kindergarden student to draw a Fly guitar blindfolded and that became the blueprint), the Parker Fly basses are pretty light. I've never played one, so i can't really vouch for it, but the Fly guitars are certainly excellent.

20. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    What about that strap device that ZZ Topp used, the Spin Strap? Wasn't that actually designed to take the weight off of shoulders and back?