1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lightweight basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davkane, Mar 17, 2009.

1. davkane

davkane Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    It has come to my attention that I am getting older (geez I am only 41) and the stupidity of my youth have come back to haunt me... My left shoulder is not what is was and holding heavy basses in putting a toll on it.

I just got rid of a Kramer XL8 because it was to heavy, I got a ESP B-208FM 8-String (as part of a trade) which seems to be about the right weight.

Anyway, I have a 1989 MIJ Fender Jazz Fretless, which feels quite heavy, and I am looking to replace it with either a lighter fretless 4 string, or a lighter fretted 5 string, at a price point of $500 or less...

Any ideas on good (reasonably cheap) 4 string fretless and fretted 5 strings?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. You might try getting a nice big comfy strap before you go buying basses...they really do work.

4. davkane

davkane Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks bongomania, neat bass!

Thanks Mutant Corn, I have tried the straps, but I still have the issue. My XL8 was a daily player until I could not put in on becuase of the pain, I had a real nice wide strap. I had also used a strap cover with gel inserts or soemthing like that. I loved the XL8, but I coudl not make it comfortable to play over the past few years.

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You may want to look at the Yamaha RBX4-A2 and 5-A2. Only fretted AFAIK, but incredibly light with a full bodied tone. The styling on the other hand is akin to Marmite, you'll either love it or hate it.

6. Agreed.
    Personally don't like them, but Yamaha RBX A-2 basses are like feathers.
    And as previously said, they have a nice tone.
    Yes.
    Believe it or not they sound good.