1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightweight bodies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by txthrashking, Aug 19, 2012.

1. I want aggression but something I can jump around on stage with. Preferably active pups, maple neck. So have at it. And I know someone's gonna mention fender and I hate fenders. So other than that feel free to add your two cents.

2. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-sr300m-bass-guitar

the weight of this bass isn't mentioned, but most of the ibbies I've played in this style were pretty light. it's got your maple board and active electronics and it looks like lots of output.

and it's not so expensive that you have to worry about dinging it up while you're monkeying around on the stage.

have fun with it.

3. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    what kind of budget are you looking at?

4. Under a 1000. The cheaper the better cuz it'll be my tour bass

5. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    if you can find a Yamaha RBX4-A2, those tend to go pretty cheap and they sound great. They weigh next to nothing. There's one on Ebay for $350 right now.

You might be able to just get a good strap and offset the weight of your current bass. I have a No.1 Stretch Strap and can barely feel my 14 pound T40.

6. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I can verify from brief personal experience that the RBX4-A2 is RIDICULOUSLY light. The only bass I've played that was lighter is a Höfner Icon.

The 4-A2 also sounds really nice, again from hearing in person.

7. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    I actually have one lighter bass than an RBX4-A2 but it's a fender clone. It's a Jazz with a Paulownia body that weighs just at 5.5 pounds for the whole package

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    [​IMG]

The one on the right weighs a little over 5 lbs.

:D

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Ibanez BTBs are famously heavy, Ibanez SR are lightweight, but that was the only pro I found in mine, others love theirs though so you might like them.

Look at a Carvin, I built mine out of swamp ash as weight was a factor for me, my 6 string probably weighs 8-9lbs, I have no scale at home so I don't know (or care THAT badly).

What don't you like about Fenders that makes you avoid them? Or is it just the name Fender you have a problem with?

10. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    Cort curbow series?

11. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Ibanez is tough to beat for this. Lightweight (the average SR is probably 7 pounds at most), slimmest neck out there, which will be easy to grasp and stay oriented while moving onstage. They also balance amazing and actually tend to hang with the head at 2:00.

The SR 500 has a maple board option and comes with Bartolinis on an active system.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I hear Callowhill makes some super light basses. That Owen Biddle model looks a little melted but I hear it weighs in the 5-6 lb. range.

13. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
  14. Anyone know of a wood that sounds similar to mahogany but lighter weight? Agathis?

15. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Wood is only a small factor in the tone of an electric instrument. Basswood, agathis, and pine are all lightweight options. Any number of Ibanez SR's would suit you, provided you like their necks.

16. Do you know of something other than that bass. I am not a fan of ibanez.

17. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Like bootsox recommended, the RBX4-A2's are very light (chambered body) and sound really good.

I would tend to agree. Worry about the pickups and their positions before you worry about wood(s). I'll also add poplar and limba as options (though the limba is probably on the heavier side of this list). I think Godin makes a few basses with poplar bodies, they also make really nice basses.

Careful, I've worked on some 4-string Warwick Corvettes that weighed in the neighborhood of 9 - 10 lbs, even one with an Alder body. Having said that, I will agree that they are kick-ass basses.

Careful, you don't want to go too cheap...and there are plenty of $1000+ instruments out there that can really take a beating.

18. I think there was a TBer that's a member of the Callowhill club who supplied Callowhill, Elrick, Cliff Bordwell, and a few other luthiers with REALLY light ash. I think one or two of my CBs might be from that stash, but I'm not 100% certain.

My 4 string is 7.8lbs, 6 string 9.8lbs, and 7 string 10lbs. The 6 and 7 weren't designed to be super light, but came out alright.

19. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Actually, the RBX4-A2 is not a chambered body. Its a multi layer of several undisclosed woods. They are really light basses, yet they still balance extremely well. I found the tone to be very clean and deep.

Schecter has some light stuff. I found their Raiden Elite to be a midweight/lightweight. Those EMG pickups would need to go if I bought one, though.

I have never held one of their C4 basses or the other similar styled models, but they look light with all the contouring.

20. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    From what I understand it's a albasia core sandwiched between two layers of alder.

I own a C4 but I'll be honest, I haven't played it in about 3 years. It's been in a case at the studio for ages. I remember it being one of the lighter basses I own, but I've heard that that some of them weigh a ton