1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightweight Cab Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basszoned, Jan 2, 2012.

1. basszoned

basszoned

Dec 10, 2008
    Wallingford CT
    Hi All,

I can use some help trying to sort thru the vast choices of cabs..

I currently have two Hartke xL410's with a Hartke 350 head...I am happy with the sound, but my back can't handle moving the 410's by myself for much longer.

What I am looking for is two Lightweight 8 ohm cabs, so if i need to use the two together I am at a 4 ohm load.

Of course price comes in to play, there are some beautiful cabs, that I just can't afford..

Does anyone have experience with the GK MBE 2 x12..only 400$ each and very light.

I 'm also thinking about two powerful 2x10's.....or two 1x 12's.

Any advice would be much appreciated. !!

Thanks

2. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I've been using a pair of Aguilar SL112's and love them. They sound great with the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and, at 25 lbs. each, there is not much effort needed to move them.

The Markbass 1x12's are great, too. Not as big as the Aggie's, about the same weight and can put out some really amazing sound. Two of the Traveler 2x10's would be a great choice as well.

Two that I have not played but get a lot of love around here are the no longer made Bergantino AE112's and the Baer ML112's. There was an AE112 in the classifieds last I looked and they seem to pop up enough that you could probably find a couple in a reasonable amount of time. The Baer's are relatively new but there's a big thread talking about them that you could peruse.

I've never played the GK 1x12 cabs but have put in some time with the newer combos they have out and I liked them.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Genz-Benz Shuttle 12T cabs. 27 pounds each, stack or play side-by-side. I love these speakers!! 45-18K Hz, 8 ohm, so 2 gives you 4 ohms.

Shuttle Series | GENZ BENZ

[​IMG]

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Went through the same thing awhile back...just didn't want to move big/heavy cabs No more!

I went to two, 8 ohm, Avatar Neo 210 cabinets that I stack as a vertical 410.
    With two 210 cabinets you'd still have 10" drivers that your used to...as a vertical 410 you'd have the height as your 410's had, (top speakers up near your ears.)
    You can use just one 210 for rehearsals/small gigs, both when more volume and coverage is needed.

www.avatarspeakers.com

5. I'd add two Ampeg's SVT210AVs vertically stacked to the mix. Quite the modular powerhouse when they're put together, and a great rehearsal/small gig rig with just one cab.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd just like to remind the OP, going from a pair of 410's to anything less than 810's total will most likely mean a drastic loss of volume. If you don't need the volume you have with 2 4x10's, that's perfectly fine, just to be aware, a pair of 12's will not get anywhere close to the loudness of 8 10's.

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    For sure, been a few suggestions towards single 1x12
    and i think its a good solution weight wise.
    But otherwise a little wimpy and more costly then just buying a 2x12

and since the op mentioned a pair of 2x12 , that is the wise best idea.
    A pair of 2x12 in a vertical stack would keep up well to what you use to. But reduce the weight of individual load in much much lower.

2x10's are roughly the same size of 2x12, but all 10" speakers are at least 2 to 3dB lower than 12's.
    Regardless of what the manufacture says going with a 2x12 instead of a 2x10 will give you more sensitivity and can shave 40 to 100 watts of needed power.

2x10 my opinion= waste of money

The GK 212 is in a nice price range, but I dont like the aesthetics just as much as the offset drivers is a poor design.

in the same price range is the TC Electronics BC 212
    which is a wider lower cost unit in their line up.

they have a higher cost unit the RS 212

Both use Eminence drivers and should be equal to GK's paragon (eminence) speaker.

Better design since the drivers are truly vertical

otherwise the better 2x12 much more expensive and still light is Genz Benz NEOX 212T

which is vertical as well, and not offset like GK, boogie, and Mark bass and many other 212 on the market.

8. basszoned

basszoned

Dec 10, 2008
    Wallingford CT
    Thanks everyone, some great points to consider..

How about two 1x15 cabs..

like the PS 115 Epifani...powerful little cabs, but not as lite as I would like, but still almost half the weight of 4x10's

Fred

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    If you can, A/B them along side your 410 cabinets, preferably with a live band.
    15" driver loaded cabinets may...or may not be what your looking for.
    I "LOVE" 15" loaded cabinets when playin' around the house, but in a live band I've never been happy with anything other than the cut/definition/feel of multiple 10's behind me.

10. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I also use 2-112 cabs after running 410's for years. (neo, BTW) I found that I didn't really need to move all the air that 410's did, and my 112's are plenty deep with great mids.

For me, 30 - 35 pounds per cab is all I am willing to carry. For that reason, even a 212 didn't work out for me.

GB 12's are nice, and so are Aguilar. Like you said, there are a ton of them out there, and mostly all worth the price. Too bad that most music stores don't carry enough brands for you to make comparisons

11. Hi Fred, checkout the Barefaced “Compact“ and “Super Fifteen” - lightweight and very powerful.

Barefaced Bass - Ultra lightweight high power bass guitar speaker cabinets

12. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would recommend either

Barefaced cabs
    fEARul 12/6
    Baer ml112
    Aguilar SL112.

All of them seem to get great reviews here on TB. The first 3 choices can be enough for a variety of gig sizes without needing another cab.

13. basszoned

basszoned

Dec 10, 2008
    Wallingford CT
    Thank you all very much for taking the time to help !
    Much appreciated.

Fred