1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lightweight Carvin BX1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I just got my Carvin catalog today and they have changed to a switchmode power supply for the BX1200. They say they have shaved off 8 pounds to get it to 25 pounds. The specs on the power are still the same so this makes this head even more attractive to me at least. I looked on the Carvin web site and didn't see it but it's in the new catalog.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow, that probably means without the built in rack case it's closer to 15lbs, yeah? The site now lists it at that weight. Pretty amazing.

3. WOW!! That's true. I bought my BX1200 back in early '07' and it weighs 32 lbs. with outside casing. That's a pretty decent head for only 25 lbs. as stands, very modern sounding to speak.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Alright Carvin!
    Great idea.
    I guess that's the answer to the BX1000?

5. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    It does seem that this is their answer to a "BX1000". No real need for that now with the lightening of the BX1200. Also note that they don't list the BX600 on their website or in the catalog. I expect that they are discontinuing it (it is fairly redundant with the BX500).

I actually tried a BX1200 a few months ago but decided to return it, only because I'm so used to the sound of my Eden WT300 that I wasn't totally enamored with the sound of the Carvin. Great amp in terms of features and capability for the money though. Even more so with the switching power supply. Shame the sound was not my cup of tea, otherwise I'd be all over this.

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
  7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Whoa 15lbs!
    Hope that's not a misprint.
    The other good thing about this head is it returns to the Carvin "Drive" control.
    No marketing hype tube involved.
    This is the real "Carvin Drive"
    This should be canned the Carvin Signature sound.

8. I think I bought my BX1200 in July of this year, and I'm pretty sure it's the heavier model. Oh well...

I am having some popping issues when using the Mute and Graphic EQ switches on my amp, though, so maybe I can return it to Carvin so they can send me a new lighter weight version. :D

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Wow. IMO this head is now a category killer!!!

10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Since that link I provided a few days ago, they have changed the weight back to 25 lbs. I wonder if it's possible to just get the head without the outer case like the BX500 ?

11. 25 pounds with the case is still better than it was (32 or 33 pounds). Removing the head from the case definitely sheds some weight, so 15 pounds probably isn't far off...

12. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

The BX1200 (assuming they haven't changed the setup from the previous generation) is rack-mountable so you can take it out of the outer case (using 4 screws that go through the top of the outer case - it's not held into the OEM rack with the rack screws/ears). It's still fully enclosed in a metal case.

However it does have "non removable rack ears" - the faceplate is full rack width. So it's not a head that can conveniently be carried by itself and dropped in a laptop bag or something similar. But you can move it to a different rack case/bag.