Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightweight combo amps with major thump

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geddyfan, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Hey Guys any suggestions?Notice it says lightweight.I am currently using a Mesa 400+ and either a 1-15 or a 4-10 at church.I need something more portable for bad weather and I'm not wanting to sacrifice much tone if possible.No sans amp or direct box suggestion as I also need a backup for my Mesa.Please help.Thanks Brian

2. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Certainly would like to know if anyone have one....lighterweight compared to Metro or Redhead for instance. 600 watts @ 4 ohms, 210's. It's a little pricey at over $2k but it's definitely a one trip to and from the car type of rig. Put casters on it and you're all set.

Pretty efficient too, 102 SPL.

If anyone's tried one, please pipe in here. I'd be very interested in other suggestions too.

LKaye

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you're wanting to stick with Mesa, look into the Walkabout head, the Walkabout Scout, or the M-Pulse Venture combo.

4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't personally think you'll find a Scout very satisfactory. A backup to the 400+ probably isn't going to be a 360 watt, over rated in my opinion head/combo. I personally thought it sucked. That's just me. I love the 400+ especially through a 410, 610, or 810 bottom. What nastiness!!! Just don't want to speed up my eventual hernia and back surgery.

I'm not sure of the Venture. If you're looking for a light, one trip to the car, you could also get a EA or AI Focus head and any number of Neo cabs in 112 or 210 or more fashion.

What is your purpose to limit the search to combo's?..to be able to get in and out of your gigs in a single or maybe two trips? Otherwise, why not look into a REALLY excellent lightweight head ... AI Focus..4 pounds, Epifani 502 ...14 pounds, EA iamp 500 about the same, EA Iamp 800 as examples, I'm sure there's more....and a good bottom?

L

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    My new favorite combo is the Aguilar AG500 single channel 112. It's light weight, expandable and huge sounding.

6. how does the new aggie combo compare to the walkabout?