Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightweight drivers other than Eminence Neo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fdeck, Nov 3, 2005.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Who are some makers of lightweight drivers? The only one I can find is Eminence, and they only make one model in each size. I would like to know if there are more options.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Parts Express sells the B&C ones. That's a very reputable line, if you're not familiar with them.

Usspeaker.com has a few Beyma, Jensen, B&C, and Eminence neos as well.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I think Weber makes Neo's too. There are definetly other manufacturers putting them out. It's something I've run across in passing and haven't tracked them cause haven't had the need.

4. I have the Neo drivers identified in my spread sheet. I'm sure there are many new models I have not yet cataloged, but the spread sheet will steer you to many existing models.

Some Neos perform better than others. The Eminence Deltalite 10" is fine, the 12" and 15" not very useful. Be sure to check into the Beyma and Selenium Neo models. They are entering this market in force, and offering many useful designs.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The drivers that Ampeg was using in their PortaBass 210's were labelled as "AURA". I don't recall seeing these sold separately but they might be. BTW, Mine blew up. I'd avoid them unless they had a high power rating and some heat dissipation features.

6. you can add Celestion to the neo driver manufacturer.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep, was thinking I saw a Celestion too but I'd already hit the send button to the post.

Celestion's to me are probably the most overlooked bass speakers and the best buys around. I've had several of them and preferred them over the JBL's I've had. I guess they're so associated with guitars that bass players don't give it a thought. But you can get Celestions used on ebay for half to 1/3 the price of comparable JBL. Go figure.

8. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Fane -- which I'm dying to hear. I love their gee-tar speakers and I have always had great respect for the brand. Has anyone here tried 'em?

JBL and EV, too, but I think they are just for their pro sound stuff.