1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightweight gigging combo...any advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geff, Apr 30, 2009.

1. geff

geff

Apr 30, 2009
    Hi there,

I'm in the market for a new bass amp. I currently have a really awful bass amp which I loathe its muddy and quiet and the minute I pump any volume it rattles...seriously I look forward to setting the Marshall Basstate B65 on fire once I have a new amp.

I play only with my fingers or slap and pop and am after a very clear tone. My basslines tend to be very melodic rather than setting a groove and I need clarity but don't want to sacrifice on a deep punchy tone. Ideally I don't want anything huge so the smaller the better and I generally gig in small to medium venues and will use it for practising. It has to be able to sit clearly above an un-mic'd drumkit.

I would like reasonable ability to alter the tone but its not totally necessary to have loads of tone adjustment on the amp as long as I can dial in the one I'm after. I think a 2x10 combo is probably about right and have had a look at 3 in my price range although haven't actually had an opportunity to play through them. These are:

Ashdown ABM C210T-500 Evo III
    Ampeg BA300/210
    Trace Elliot 1210

Can you suggest any others that would be worth me taking a look at?

Many thanks in advance.

2. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    markbass 12" or 210 combos

3. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Shuttle 6.0-12 combo should do it

4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    The Ashdown ABM C210T-500 Evo III is a great combo (I had the Evo II), but it is not lightweight. Weight was the (only) reason I sold mine.

5. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    When it comes to light weight, Markbass is your friend. Small and easy to transport but dash out great tone and volume.

Ashdown combo is alright but it weight alot. My ashdown EB180 combo is not light at all.

6. nashdog

nashdog

Jun 1, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree, Markbass is probably your best bet when it comes to lightweight. I would say an LMK head and the Markbass 210 cab.

Also, I would check out the Avatar 210 cab. I've heard lots of good things about them.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    All good suggestions. Add the Mesa Walkabout Scout to your list.

8. Boogie.Man

Boogie.Man

Apr 9, 2009
    Not sure what price range you are considering, but I tried a few MarkBass combos at home. They were nice enough, but with my Sterling I found them to be a little lacking. I just couldn't the sound that I was seeking. For me, the Mesa was the answer. No MarkBass hiss and a full rounded sound. For what it's worth, the MarkBass combos had a significant hiss with both my Sterling and my Fender Mustang bass.

MarkBass stuff is very good, but I would go separate head and cabinet if you elect to go that way.

Edit, I might add that the WalkAbout Scout is not what I would consider to be a lightweight combo. But it sure sounds good.

9. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    all markbass recommendations and only one Genz!

10. soleil4716

soleil4716

Mar 11, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    I have a Shuttle 6.0-12 combo on its way. I like the fact that in Genz you can dial in some distortion using the tube gain. Another plus is that you can easily take the amp out and use with a different cabinet. The mute button is a plus too.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Genz Benz.
    See signature.
    I use it for stand alone gigs and as a monitor when I have PA support. It has a nice DI built in. I like the mute as well. oh, and it's loud, sounds good and weighs 18 pounds!

12. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I'll echo SteveC's comments

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Carvin.com

BR515N Power Imp./Power Dimensions
    Neodymium
    Combo Amp