1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lightweight MM Alternative

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steveinohio, Mar 25, 2020.

1. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Over the past year I’ve developed shoulder tendinitis. This makes playing my trusty Stingrays a bit of a chore. I lucked out recently and found a Warwick Corvette Rockbass that weighs about 7.5lbs. Couple that with a neoprene strap and I have no physical issues. I’m still missing the MM sound! Has anyone found a lightweight Stingray replacement? I did buy a new Stingray from Sweetwater that was supposed to be 7.8 lbs. This unfortunately turned out not to be the case.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Don’t lose faith in Music Man if you can afford one. The Stingray Specials are lighter. Try for another one.

steveinohio likes this.
  3. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Thanks Doc! The search will continue. I'm just curious if anyone else has had the same problem and found a solution.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    Northern California
    Have you tried a Sterling? The ones made by EBMM, not the Sterling by MusicMan.

They are smaller and lighter. Different sound, slightly, but close.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I've seen a few MM specials weighing in around 8lbs. My 5 string is 8.75lbs

6. Littlewing6283

Littlewing6283

Dec 20, 2019
    yeah maybe try one of the specials out. I just purchased 1 from sweetwater, listed at 8.2 lbs, weighed 8.2 when I brought it home.

The one I purchased from musiciansfriend was a little heavier 8.10 lbs lol

7. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Thanks guys! I did buy a special. I got a bit discouraged by it though. It was definitely not the weight that was advertised. I'll find something.

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

That's weird! Doesn't Sweetwater pride themselves on accurately advertised weights?

9. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    It wasn’t a big deal. Returning it was easy. The bass was really nice. It was just about a pound heavier than advertised. I’m not really willing to pay a premium for that. I’ve already got four other Rays. I’ll a skinny one at some point. I hope.

Malak the Mad and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. Littlewing6283

Littlewing6283

Dec 20, 2019
    ive never tried it but based on looks maybe a G&L Kiloton, seems to be in the same vain as the ray. If its anything like my lb-100 it will have a chunkier neck than the ray. My LB-100 weighs in at 9.2 lbs. A little more than my rays. Anything below 10lbs im ok with but i prefer to stay in that 8-9 lbs range. Being a guitar player as well a nice benefit is my guitars now feel like feathers ahhahahah

good luck in your search

steveinohio likes this.
  11. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Alright. I just bought a Ray through pitbullaudio that is supposed to be 7.9lbs. We shall see. Trans Amber with a roasted neck and no markers on the board. Looks phenomenal. Fingers crossed!!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Jim C and Dave W like this.
  12. Littlewing6283

Littlewing6283

Dec 20, 2019
    I went to the site. Gorgeous ! I hope the weight is accurate. I’ve ordered from pitbull before and was pleased with the experience.

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Was Sweetwater not able to correct their problem? Seems they should have been able to properly weigh one.
    But hopefully Pitbull is right on their weights.