1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lightweight portable amps and cabs or combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geepee, Jun 15, 2007.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Hi
    If the Denmark st shop doesn't have the MB gear you can get a Central Line to Liverpool st and go to the Bass Centre (although i would check they have stock first).
    Cab wise i have travelled on a tube with a MB 151P cab. its very small.
    If you wanted to try out a MB LMII i have mine at work and im in Holborn.

EDIT: I would say hiring a car might be the best option. split a few ways it wont cost much and then maybe get something like an MAG combo. Ive used mine at loads of gigs without PA support but it depends on the type of music i guess.
    whats the drummer going to do to get to the gig?

2. geepee

geepee

Jun 14, 2007
    BC, Canada
    Well I got something!

Went to the bass shop on Denmark street and picked up a LMII and
    the 102p lightweight cab. The sound when I tried in the shop was fantastic, so much more oomph than the combos i tried.

I managed to get a good deal, although it's some pricey stuff! I can
    see why it's liked by so many people though.

Around the corner was a luggage shop, bought a luggage trolley, bunjeed it on and hey presto, my rig and transport problems are solved. It's light enough to go up and down stairs too so I don't see many problems getting on trains with it.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll let you know how it goes at the gig. :bassist:

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Nice one, you wont be sorry.
    you might also find you end up taking the head to all your gigs and just using the cabs if any are supplied.

where are you gigging?

4. geepee

geepee

Jun 14, 2007
    BC, Canada
    It's a pub called the Miller, near london bridge saturday night. They have a PA, but don't supply any backline so i'm guessing that includes cabs.

I'm not sure how well our style will go down as it seems like a pretty straight-laced place, it should be fun anyway. rock on.

5. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    Mark Bass LMII!!

4ohm 15" cab
    or
    4ohm 2X10 cab

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ah yes, i know the place although i haven't been in there. Looks nice from the outside. I live just across the river but im gigging as well that night or else i would have popped in.

If you do DI in to the house PA remember that the XLR is post EQ unless you change a jumper over inside. Looking at the outside of the place i would think you wouldn't have to use the PA with your rig.

Have a good one.

7. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I think there has been a lot of good ideas, markbass, Roland, GK.

I just want to put out there that I think if you are serious about bass you should get an amp. Going through the house can work most of the time, but I show up at clubs with all kinds of issues, no monitors, one monitor, the PA is down, the sound man is on Meth (literally). Even for just getting better and practicing at home having a combo amp is a good idea (How are you practicing know, headphone amp, unpluged?) And getting a combo amp does not meen you have to take it to every gig but an electric bass player without an amp is limited.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The OP is already sorted.

9. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Cool, I missed that post, congrats.

10. geepee

geepee

Jun 14, 2007
    BC, Canada
    I got it home ok, sounds awesome; it also looks totally badass. The only thing that i'm not happy with is my gig bag back pocket is about half an inch too small to take the amp, dammit!. It fits in the main section if i wrap it in a towel though, so i guess i'm sorted.

here it is:

[​IMG]

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021