Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightweight Power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matthewfoote, May 25, 2004.

1. Hi

Is there such a thing as a light weight power amp. I am after a power amp of at least 1000w into 4 ohms but which weighs in at say under 15lbs.

I am asking because if integrated amps like the new AI focus or a WW can produce high power at a low weight it must be possible.

I want to use it with my AI clarus on the few occassions when I need more power and I am not going through a PA. I therefore do not want to spend a fortune on it. [I cannot run to the cost of the new AI focus]

Many thanks

Matthew

2. Interesting

Many thanks

Matthew

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My Stewart World 2.1 (and all 2.1's :p) are only 17 pounds, and in bridged mono will crank 2100 watts!:eek:

The 1.2 weighs less, and in bridged mono will deliver 1200 watts or so to a 4 ohm cab.

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    A used QSC PLX can be attained relatively inexpensively... they weigh in at about 20lbs., but will give you anywhere from 1,200 to 3,400 watts.

5. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hey Meekster,

A man after my own heart - gotta love homebrew gear!

Can you post the pics of your home made deltalite 1x10 cab again? I can't see the ones that you posted here before.

Cheers

Ian

6. That's a really sweet looking PA project amp, Meekster. It looks like my farm tech projects from my Ham Radio days.

Good luck with the rehab.

Best Aloha,

Jonathan
    KH6X

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    So Meekster...did you type all that with just your right hand?:eyebrow:

Hope you feel better soon...

8. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi Meekster,

Sorry to hear about your troubles... I hope all is better soon.

I would jump on those Deltalites if you were in the UK, but in reality it would probably cost as much to ship them here from Finland as it would to buy a new one I'm afraid (even though they are lightweight!).

I'd like to know what you think of them though - I'm considering using one to replace the 10" in my Ashdown ABM combo that I blew!

Cheers

Ian

9. Larrytron

Thanks for the suggestion of the Peavey, it fits the bill in all respeacts except the price which is very expensive. I might have to save up for a lot longer to get that one but it would do the job for me.

Keep the suggestions coming people

Regards

Matthew

10. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Yamaha P5000s (12kg)
    Crown pulse 2x650 (11kg)

Both are reasonable priced with lot of watts