1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lightweight, powerful heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassic83, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I am starting this thread to try to catalog lightweight, powerful amp heads, and their pros and cons. For instance-

Yamaha BBT500H: Pros- light, 11 lbs, digital modeling of amps, 2-Ohm capable, price $399 at MF.

Cons- Unknown quantity, nobody seems to know what they sound like, how powerful they are/aren't, do they have punch? Tone? Are they reliable?

I would like to get a good sampling of what is available out there, and have this thread available for those looking for light, powerful amp solutions. Trying to stay under 20 lbs, but if something weighs 22 lbs, and is powerful, cool as well. Just trying to stay away from 88-lb. Ampeg heads and their ilk.

Your suggestions?

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I use my BBT500H with 2 EA wizzy 112's. I got one of the 1st ones as I ordered it before they were released. They're similar in design philosophy to much of the other things that Yamaha manufacturers. High quality for the money....
    . The best feature for me is the ability to change sounds on the fly with one button push, whether at the amp or through a midi pedal bd. I have an ART x-11 if I need it.
    It does the modern 'mid scoop' sound, nitty gritty fuzz, old school rock, slap-a-rama, whatever. Lately I've been pushing (punishing :rollno: ):D a Schroeder 410 with it.
    I wish it did 500 watts at 4 ohms for the sake of not wanting to use an extra cabinet but it's no sweat at 2 ohms.
    This amp is a steal at $400. I paid $600 when they came out.
    There are plenty of more expensive choices.
    Acoustic Image
    Euphonic Audio
    David Eden
    Thunderfunk......

3. There's a great thread out there somewhere that did this already. I don't know the exact search parameters, but it's worth a try to find it. Lot's of +/- comments on Epi502, WW, TF, AI, Eden, etc., etc.

4. I have the Yamaha BBT500h too, with their matching cabs,
    (2 2x10)

It is the best amplifier I have played in my life.
    (I actually prefer the BBT500h in front of EBS HD350 or Any Hartke top)

5. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    It a Yamaha. How bad can it possibly be? Yamaha has a well established, excellent reputation for high quality sound reinforcement products, not to mention their consistently high quality MI products.

I'm not a big fan of Yamaha basses, but I do play Yamaha drums (and probably wouldn't play anything else), I have a Yamaha FX770 rack processor, and I like Yamaha pianos. I'm also dying to get myself a Yamaha concert marimba. I've alos never had a problem with Yamaha professional audio products that I've used in the past.

And come on, it's a bass amp...this isn't rocket science.

I do wonder, though, can the modelling section be bypassed entirely so you just have a plain old bass amp? Or are you stuck running through the DSP unit all the time?

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Wow- Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha...my Yamaha thread is getting all it's responses over here! ;)

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    What about the Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5? Anyone try one yet?

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Thunderfunk, Aguilar AG500, Mesa Walkabout ahd Eden come to mind. I have the AG500 and love it.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Anyone have the Ashown Superfly yet?

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    What is your budget? $400? $1000?

Don't forget that MF has a 30-day return policy. Buy, try, keep, or return.

I have an Acoustic Image Focus 1 Series II - It weights 3 lbs. (no kidding) and it puts out 1000W at 2 Omhs.

Reliable as it gets (all solid-state, good construction).

12. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    This should be in the other thread but since this one is going, I'll add it here too.

Epifani 902UL, 2x900 watts @ 4 ohms each. Release date, late April early May. No price or weight yet. Weight shoud be about 15 lbs.
    Pros-Puts out like it has 1200 watts, it's like having 4-502's
    Cons-None, or at least know of :)

Labgruppen FP2600, 2400 watts @ 4 ohms, 18 lbs.
    Pros-powerful, it'll deliver what ever your pre delivers, tonal.
    Cons-Pricy......lists for $2200.

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

BTW, Music123 was blowing out the AG500 heads (yes the dual channel one) for $969 last week. MusiciansFriend and most other's sell them for $1199. Oh, you can also get 4% off of that Music123 deal by going to FatWallet and clicking onto Music123 from there. Total cost would be about $939. After lots of effort and being transferred to a manager, I got MF to match the Music123/Fatwallet deal of $939 AND got them to throw in a free Aguilar carry bag (sells for $59 wholesale). Shawwwwing!

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    EA iamp800
    19 lbs
    800 watts into 4 ohms
    1,000 watts into 2 ohms
    2,500 watts headroom
    the most versatile EQ in the biz
    unmatched customer service

and ...

I wrote the manual

mike

15. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    And, less powerful and just a bit lighter, there's the iAmp 500, at 15 pounds, and 500 watts into 4 or 2 ohms. I have one on loan from a new-found friend (Thanks, Mike J.!), and will be using it with one of my Wizzy cabs on a gig tonight, then testing it thoroughly with both my Wizzy cabs on both BG and DB this weekend. Can't wait!!!

All the best,
    Liam

16. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    There's a lot that fit in the under 20lb range

EA iAmp500/800 - Crisp with plenty of bark. A very useful and versatile EQ, as well as other doodads like a speaker defeat and tuner out.

Epi UL502/UL902 - Clean, clear responsive tone, makes you forget that it's a digital switching amp.

Thunderfunk TFB550 - Warm and articulate, makes you think there's a tube in there. Lush and lovely tone, with a plethora of EQ options.

Aguilar AG500 - The dirty channel is so nasty you can replace your rhythm guitar player in a metal band. Nice warm vintage-like tones. Footswitch is a neat thing.

Acoustic Image Focus - You won't believe how light the amp is. There are boxes of cigars that are larger and weigh more. Amazingly loud for it's size. Ultimate portability as well as extremely transparent tone.

Eden WT400/WT550 - Nice warm tube tone, with a versatile EQ.

Ashdown Superfly - Checked one out at NAMM, and I love it's design. Easy to carry, nice range of EQ options, and doesn't break the bank.

Markbass - Checked those out at NAMM too. Nice tone and small footprint. They are also unbelieveably light. Fits easily into a backpack.

Ampeg Portabass - Good sound, simple EQ, lightweight.

17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Man, my G-K 1001RB-II *just* arrived today and after reading this thread I'm already drooling for the next purchase.

Thanks guys! :spit: :(

;) :D

18. I'll put in a word on the Acoustic Image Focus 2R Series II.

Pro's-Very light and portable.
    Lot's of power.(I run 2 Schroeder cabs,1212+1210,with it)
    Has input for a microphone.(Most useful for string bassist
    that use a mic).
    Clean sound (as Jive1 said).
    Cons-The clean sound is great for string bass.When I use it
    for bass guitar I use a Sadowsky pre amp to give it a bit
    of tube warmth.Sound might be too clean for some rock
    stuff.
    Uses spekon cables.Sometimes I fly to gigs,just bring the
    head,rental cabs at the gig.I forgot to bring correnct
    cables!
    Guys look at you funny at the gig when you put that tiny
    thing on top of the speaker cabs! (Where's your SVT
    dude??!!!!)

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

what the jivey one says...

20. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'm hoping to get an iAMP500+NL210 soon.

Can't wait!