lightweight rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tragicmagic, Jun 5, 2002.

1. I've had a recent injury to my lower back... I was wondering if anyone can recommend a light rig that doesn't sacrifice much in the way of tone/power?

My current is a genz benz gbe 250c 1x12 combo (tube preamp, 330 watts with an extension cab) and an avatar b115 extension cab. I'm thinking a separate head/cab will make loading a bit more manageable, despite having more pieces (the 1x12 combo is over 70 lbs)
  2. My Mesa WalkAbout is 13lbs, 300 watts/4 ohms and 150 watts/8 ohms, 2 12AX7's in the pre-amp and killer tone. My Aguilar 1x12 is about 40lbs and does everything I need it too.

If you need more information you can e-mail me privately... hope this helps.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Back pain sucks!!! Sorry you're hurting. My bad back got me kicked out of a band because they wanted a pack mule as much as they wanted a bass player.

There are lots of relatively light amps available...Clarus is probably the lightest...but rather dry sounding I'm told. My SWR Bass 350 weighs 21 lbs or's pretty managable.

As for light cabinets...Flite is the only way to go. Check out their site...the composite enclosures make for very light weight and from what I've read, they sound good.

Please take good care of your back, you your exercises to strenghten your lower back and abs and use really good body mechanics to lift (and live).

Take care and good luck!!!
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lake Zurich, eh?
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  6. maybe Nemesis cabs or combos? I've never gotten to try them, but have heard good things. They're light.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    doh! my bad... it was a late post...
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A Clarus, perhaps with a preamp like SansAmp, POD or Pandora, is great a low weihgt. A total of perhaps 7lbs!

Combine that with cabs according to your needs, from Tech Soundworks, Acoustic Images and/or Flite Sound. These are the lightweight cabs out there, dispite Ampegs try with the Portabass series - which OTOH have pulleys integated. Your call!
  9. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Don't forget 2 Aguilar 1x12s. Also you could get the preamp of your choice and a DPC 1400x. That would give you awesome tone & 1400watts in 2 rackspaces that weigh about 20pounds.