Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightweigt cab review...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Feb 21, 2005.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Amp forum regulars,
    I just thought I'd drop a note to let you know that the lightweight speaker cabinet review that I've been working on for the last several months will soon be ready. Paul should have it up on the front page of TB fairly soon. I hope that it will be helpful to those who might not have the opportunity to try out a lot of high-end gear and hope that it will generate a lot of great discussion on the forum! Hopefully this will be just the start of a semi-regular feature that I can bring to TB. :hyper: ;)

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool,

to give us a teaser, mind telling us what brands?

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    A teaser you shall have! :smug:

Epifani
    EA
    Accugroove

;)

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Jay,
    I've been looking for it on a daily basis. Looking forward to it

Mike

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Mike,
    Paul has been creating some graphs and getting photos in order and it should be out soon. I know that he's been trying to get the next issue of the newsletter out too, but I think it should be up this week! :hyper: :D

6. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    aw.. JPJ .. i'm liking the sound of this!

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    This is a ride that you just know I'm going to be on!!!

I look forward to checking out the fruits of your labors!

Thanks, Tom.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm just parking here early to get a good spot. And I've got my ears on!

9. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Ive got my tickets, where does the line begin?

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Would it be too late to add Schroeder to the list?

They are relqatively light for their size and output.

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Way too late at this point! :p I originally asked about Schroeder many months ago, but (at least at that time), they weren't using any methods to significantly reduce the weight of thier cabs...synthetic/alt. materials used for the enclosures, neodymium magents in the speakers, etc. I originally contacted quite a few companies and EA, Epifani, and Accugroove expressed the most interest in the review so I went with them. However, that doesn't mean that a "review part two" is out of the question, though. ;)

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

uhhh, i've got my own review on the accu 1x12 coming up, and i'll be comparing a friend's Epi and EA 1x12's!

course, i defer my thoughts to vous. :smug:

13. I feel another gas attack eminent.......

T

14. Is that the only brands your reviewing? I was hoping you would review the Aguilar GS112. :( Oh well, those are good choices anyway. :smug:

EDIT: Oh, I see your reviewing high end speakers, my bad :bag:

15. It will be interesting to see the reviews, I just wish that you had considered Flite cabs in the collection. With most cabs under 28lbs it seems to me that would be considered light weight. Boy I sure wish I could try that many top end cabs in a side by side, that has to be the way to really compare.
    Thanks for sharing your reviews with us!
    Dirk

16. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I deed, I deed! :D I thought that it would have been great to include Flight in the bunch, as I've never tried any of their stuff and was really interested to see what their cabs could do. Unfortunately, they declined, as did other lightweight cab manufacturers that would have been perfect for the review. Not everyone knows about Talkbass, nor do the necessarily understand or appreciate the importance of online forums. You can look at that issue several different ways, but instead of taking a negative attitude toward those who chose NOT to participate (after repeated attempts to persuade/convince them otherwise-both Paul and I followed up with each manufacturer several times), I would rather take the opportunity to congratulate EA, Accugroove, and Epifani for caring about Talkbass and the TB members, for understanding how important and significant this site/forum is, and for volunteering for the review with gusto! :D :hyper: I say "hats off" to Euphonic Audio, Accugroove, and Epifani and view those who didn't participate as having missed out on a fantastic opportunity to connect with the TB membership.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hear, hear! Props to EA, Accugroove and Epifani!!!

Owning cabs from all three, I am very interested to read your review! Who knows, I might have a word or two to add... :p

18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    But each of the brands you've selected are way too high price wise. Don at LDS and Dr Bass for instance are building very high quality, lite weight cabs for 1/2 the price of the brands you mentioned.

I can personally vouch for LDS as far as their build and materials quality along with their service which has been excellent so far. I've also owned 2 Epifani's (310 and 212NYC models) and 3 models of EA's (VL208, VL110, and CXL 112). They all sound great, are certainly top notch quality and give great service also.

But when several custom cab builders like LDS and Dr Bass are building and selling Neo cabs in the 60 pound and much lower weight wise for 1/2 the price, equivalently equipt...B&C speakers for instance for LDS, I really have to question the pricing schemes of the "big boys" Is an Epifani 410 UL "twice" the cabinet, volume, tone, stats, or intangibles? of a 410 Neo from LDS? I don't believe so. I laugh every time I tell people that I'm using 8 inch speaker cabs (LDS) and watch their faces in disbelief. Not only are my current cabs lightweight, they sound great and are inexpensive to boot, in spite of their high build and component quality.

I guess what I'm finding is that there are more and more lightweight alternatives out there, whether because of Neo's, composite materials, or cabinet design (Schroeder for instance) that in addition to pretty damn equivalent weight give just as good sound pressure and quality without breaking either your back or budget. Don't get me wrong I loved my EA's and Epi's and at the time I bought them, there were no LDS, Neo's, or Schroeders around, but I don't feel that the "name" companies today, with these new guys on the block have any real discernable advantages any more yet remain extremely pricey.

Again to each his or her own. and I'm glad we have choices and competition, but there seems to be less and less differentiation between cabinets except in price.

L

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm in agreement with Larry, With cabs like LDS out there at two/thirds too half the price I just can't get to interested in the high end stuff. I played the Epifani and the GK and don't get the bump up. My LDS rocks!!!

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Is it too late to as Don or Marc Serio (Dr. Bass) to send you a cab to review?