Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ligthwave Intonation Adjustments...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chaputa, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

Anyone have experience adjusting the intonation on 1st gen lightwaves? The manual talks about unlocking the saddle and moving the saddle manually (there is no adjustment screw, the saddles float in a channel), but that sure as hell defeats the purpose of trying to set the intonation (have to loosen the strings to move the saddles).

Any thoughts? Cause now I'm getting a buzzing from my G-String like the saddle is not f'd up or something...

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Just do it, man!
    Even with an old style plate bridge, you'd have to retune after movign the saddles, so it's just the same. Just add some de-tuning to get the saddle moved....
    The amount of movement is the same as usual, so if you have done it before, you know approx how much to move it.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Not sure what first generation is but on mine, yeh, you have to get the strings out of the way, loosen the 2 screws that hold the monolith (bridge piece) in place, move it the desired direction, torque the string and keep doing it till you get it right. There is no adjusting screw.

I assume you ask since you're planning on making an adjustment to string height/gauge, nut, or trussrod, since that is what will effect the buzz, with a probable intonation adjustment required due to the former.

There is also a possibility that moving the monolith will result in a poor ground thereafter which will cause a hum. These are not traditional basses in any sense, except function - maybe.

4. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

Kinda surprised me that there was no fore/aft adjustment screw for intonation. I'll give the good 'ol college try for setting the intonation.

The buzzing is actually a little sitar like. It appears that the buzzing is coming from the way the string sits in the saddle of the bridge. I'm just wondering if there was a way that I may have lowered the saddle unintentionally and caused the string to buzz towards the neck-facing end of the saddle?

I dunno...but I'll try setting the intonation tonight...

Thanx for the info!

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Unable to decipher which end you're buzz is coming from but typically a nut end buzz is a truss rod adjustment, a bridge end buzz is a string height adjustment (in the case of the Wave, raising or lowering the brass seat the strings sit it). Intonating the bass should have no effect on the buzz. I would avoid moving those monoliths unless necessary. At any rate, intonation is the last step in the process so if the neck or string height needs adjusting, to intonate the bass would be pointless.

That said, there's a remote chance that adjusting the intonation may somehow affect the buzz (face of the bass not level - whatever), but the probability is higher that you may not only be wasting you're time but creating a problem you may not be able to fix. Besides Lightwave, pretty much the only people that know how to work on these basses are the owners. There are no local or even regional repair for lightwaves. The bass is more a computer with pots than a conventional bass.

Your bass and your call but this info may save you some grief.