Like A Rolling Stones

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by the-lizard-king, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Calling all Stones fans!
    Im a big Stones fan, Ive got all the compilations, singles box set, etc. etc. but Im going to start buying the studio albums, but there is so many, where to start? What do you consider the Stones finest hours, from any decade? I have Voodoo Lounge and I think it is brilliant.
    Thanks guys! Jim
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There was an interesting article in the newspaper I read in the UK which explained that while you can buy all the Beatles albums (for example) in exactly the format in which they were released and as they were intended; you can't do the same in the US with the Rolling Stones.

So they explained how Mick and Keith etc. would make albums and usually leave out the singles, as they knew their fans would already have these and they also had something of a concept when putting the albums together.

But apparently, their deal in the States was such that the record company could do what they liked with US releases and inevitably would stuff them full of singles so they would sell better and completely mess up the track order and leave out stuff.

The article was saying that after all these years, you still can't buy any of the Stones albums in the US in the format that was intended on original release and this begged the question of whether an artist should be able to insist on the integrity of a "work of art" ?

It just surprised me that after all these years and the re-releases on CD and all the remastered albums "as originally intended with out-takes etc." - that nobody has done this for as big a band as the Stones! :eek:
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The classic Stones recordings are Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya Yas Out, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street. These are the ones to get.

As far as the earlier stuff, the compilation Hot Rocks covers all the hits from the earliest days up to Brown Sugar and is a better buy than getting all the old albums unless you are really into British Invasion stuff (much of it to me sounds dated). The second volume More Hot Rocks is less essential but does include the best tracks from their psychedelic period if you like that sort of thing.

The post-Exile stuff has it's moments but is a lot more spotty. Some Girls and Tattoo You are perhaps the best of the lot.
  4. Bruce, thats interesting! Its hard to believe what the record ocmpanys got away with. If they put singles on the albums, then they must have gotten rid of other tracks to make room for them :(
    Its amazing that they havnt been released as they were intended in the US, surely theres money to be made in that. I guess because of how long the Stones have been going for, theres soooo much material that fans arent really that interested in the nitty gritty...?? Its sad. But hey, I bet its only a matter of time. And if something happens to Jagger or Richards you can bet all that kind of stuff will be flooding the market.
  5. Brianrost, thanks for the input! Think i'll have to make a trip to the store today! :)
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Until the late sixties, singles and albums were treated quite differently, both in the UK and in the US. Album tracks did not get airplay, only singles and it was common for singles to NOT be on the albums. Record contracts did not give the artists much clout so when a UK act was licensed to a US label they often used different cover art, different mixes (!!) different track orders, etc.

This is the sort of thing that gets reocrd collectors all dewy-eyed, just thinking about all the oddball variations like the rare B-side of a single released only in Borneo :)

Things haven't changed that much, how about when an act releases a new song then they come out with a dozen "remixes" of it...
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I think the point is that now, in hindsight people are seeing albums like Pet Sounds, Sergeant Pepper etc as "works of art" that had a definite intention about the way they were put together - I mean what if you took some Who singles and stuck them in the middle of Tommy? :rolleyes:

So in a way these are historical documents of our culture and when you get to thr point of treating these things as history, people want to know that an album appears how it was intended. So like there was the 25th anniversary edition CD re-issue of "Dark Side of the Moon" which I bought, mostly becuase I didn't have it on CD, but it was nice to get all the bits and pieces.

I'm sure there will be a re-issue of all the Stones albums - re-mastered from the original tapes by Mick & Keef, as they were originally released in the UK. It's just strange they haven't got round to it yet - maybe they're waiting for a 40th or 50th anniversary?!! Of the foundation of the group that is!

"40 years of the Rolling Stones" or something like that - "middle-aged spread" ? :D
  8. I saw them live in 97...AWESOME show...