1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

like an ESP Vintage-4....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dokazaado, Apr 2, 2009.

1. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    but without the relicing nonsense, that's what I'm looking for.

I've tried Ps with the PJ pickup configuration, but they don't feel the same.
    The neck feel is so different on the ESP that I almost thought they were different scale lengths,
    but they are both 34".
    21 frets on the ESP, maybe that's the difference.

anyway...can anyone who has played the Vintage-4 tell me what I'm looking for?

btw, dudes, a Vintage-4 is my main bass, so I'm not disparaging it in any way.
    I just got one with a little extra mojo.
    2901828245_76952f0c50.

2. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I know you've been having this conversation in your head for some time now but we are coming in at the tail end of it.

What?!?.....:confused:

Ggeorges likes this.
  3. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    I want a bass that feels and sounds like the ESP,
    but that isn't relic'd.

a P bass with a Jazzz bridge pickup isn't going to cut it.

can anyone that has played one of these ESPs point me in the right direction.

more clear, duder?

4. A little extra Mojo? It looks like you were lighting the fireplace with it!

5. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    you don't try that with yours?

6. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Yes! Much clearer!

I have a Fender Aerodyne Jazz that is fabulous and has the nice thinner jazz neck but has a P/J pickup setup. It is a Japan market bass you can pick up at Ishibashi. Don't know how it stacks against the ESP but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Cheers!:D

7. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    Hi Dude,

I'm a big fan of the vintage 4 too, so much so that i had a custom P modded to try to replicate the tone. I'm not sure if I nailed it but the main factor in the tone of a PJ is the spacing between the pickups.

If you measure from the nut to the center of the J pick up, how far is it? There are two possible spacings, 60's j position and 70's j position 99.5% of all PJs use 70's position (all the fenders, mike lulls, yamahas etc) However from eyeballing it looks like the ESP has 60's spacing. Sadowsky offers both. I moded my custom P to have 60's spacing.

The advantage of 60's position is a stronger tone when the J is soloed, the disadvantage is a less scooped tone when both pickups are added together than with a typical 70's spacing.

But when I tried the vitage 4 it has serious puch with both pickups full up, Im guessing its because of the hot SPB2 and SJB2 pickups.

so if you could measure the pick up distance from nut to the center of the j it would help us all.

8. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Also, is the bridge pickup single coil or the Duncan hot stack?

9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I can't help you with what you're looking for, but I just wanted to say I played a vintage 4 and thought it was an amazing bass. I would have been tempted to buy it if the relicing on it didn't look like complete and utter ****.

10. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah I don't mind relicing if it is done well, but the vintage 4 I played at a guitar shop relic job was pretty crappy. Good sounding bass though.

11. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I admit to knowing nothing about these basses. $1500 seems pretty high. Are they that good?

12. krafty

krafty

Mar 22, 2010
    Holland, MI
    If you like the sound of the ESP, consider looking for an older M-IV. Similar body style (although no pickguard) without the relic look. Well, if you find one in good condition, that is! I've been very happy with mine, and considering it is probably 25 years old, it doesn't have significant wear at all.

13. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Street price on these Is lower, Like 1200. used they go for less. A fair price if you dig the pj configuration. Modifying a stock p will cost at least 100 labour plus the price of the pickup, 80-150...