Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Like "classic rock?" Give these a listen- please!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ebladeboi123, Nov 2, 2005.

1. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well, my band, eclyptic, composed of all sophmores, is looking for some reviews and feedback before it gets to be time for a rockoff. Anyway band flaws, any song flaws (we will probably only play one song off that demo at the show), and just general comments are appreciated. I know i posted it before (i think), but I'm going to give it another shot.

www.purevolume.com/eclyptic
    www.myspace.com/eclyptic
    www.eclypticmusic.com

Anyfeedback is nice (yes i know my playing is phenomial, but I feel it's what the songs called for).

2. Gorcbass

Gorcbass

Sep 16, 2005
    Galway, Ireland
    I love it. :bassist: That is exactly the style of music I like and for your age you are great. I dont have to much complaints, although the lead guitarists tone was a bit weak imo.
    Nice bass playing aswell. Suits the music.

3. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    I think you need some EQ to bring out your instruments; the lead guitar tends to sound too dull, and the mixes are a bit muddy. A guy I know has some VERY good articles: Blue Bear Sound - Articles & Info.

4. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Thanks Dugz, we did not mix these ourselves, but a sound engineer, yes they didn't do a very good job. We are now going to produce our own full album with some more "groove" oriented songs, and some just rock songs, and of course the slower ones. We have acquired a 5 band compression plug in and multiple other plug ins. I gave those articles a read, and they were very good, I'll be sure to pass them onto the producer and the rest of the band.

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Well you guys are definitely tight! :cool:

That said, I don't know how tough it's fair to be but I felt that for me the weaker links that could be improved upon would be lyrics, singing approach and especially the solo on the first track. :meh:

The singer has a nice voice but it really sounds like he's trying hard to think of what he wants to sound like and probably would do better just to think about the lyrics.
    Focus on the song, forget the listeners. ;)

The lyrics need help but if I could tell you how to fix them I'd probably be doing clinics on songwriting.

Incidentally one of your statements that makes me want to be critical is your personal asessment of yourself as phenomenal.
    Confidence is a good thing, but so is humility and I heard nothing there that would have made me think of term phenomenal. :rollno:

You guys all have the potential to make your lives with music and I have no doubt that at least a couple of you will, so try to glean what you can from this post and ignore the rest.

Well that's my 2¢ worth, if it's worth that much! :D

6. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Sorry i forgot, the word not, quite seriously. If there's one thing i don't have its confidence in my playing, which is bad. I can get up and groove fine, but I have a hard time talking myself up with other bassists at my school. Thank you for your assement, I personsally prefer the reviews that tell us we need more work, keeps us in line, because no offence to the other bands around here, they just don't seem to do what do we do, the only other "decent" band around is www.purevoluem.com/amadeusoh (my opinion of course), but they sorta sound like incubus, who i don't like.