1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Like father, like son

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 22, 2006.

1. I hate to throw out AC adapters/wall warts. They're probably full of toxic substances, and I always have the nagging suspicion that I might be able to use them again in some fashion. I don't have much storage space in my little house, but I have one of the 4"x4"x8" stacking bins in my linen/storage closet set aside for old AC adapters. I suspect that my roommates think I'm a packrat, but I can't quite say I give a rat's ass. :D

Apparently, my dad is the same way. I'm at my folks' house right now and discovered that my M-Audio FireWire Solo, which I had heretofore only used with my desktop PC, won't power up when plugged into the PCMCIA FireWire adapter I bought the other day for my laptop. The FireWire Solo requires a 12VDC power supply providing 1000mA. I've got one of those at home, but that's 1900 miles away. I went down to my folks' basement, hunted around a bit, and found more or less what I needed: a 12VDC power supply pushing 800mA. I doubt it's regulated, but it appears to have come from my dad's old C-PAP (automatic air pump he uses to control his snoring), so I can't imagine that it'd fry electronics too easily.

So, instead of having to go to Rat Shack and hunt around for a 12V adapter that pushes more than 200mA, I have a usable FireWire Solo that will power a phantom-powered mic. Now to just record some damn music. :bag:

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, good.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I used to be a pack-rat for all kinds of stuff that I was sure I would need "one day". Over the years, the ONLY things I had hoarded that I have actually needed later were... power supplies. I have tossed the rest of the junk, but I will continue to hoard power supplies.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Toxic substances? As far as I know it's just a bunch of wire...

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Beware:
    Some wall-wart output plugs, have reverse polarity.
    (positive on the outside and ground in the inside conductor)

They sometimes have a polarity diagram in the specs, but if not,
    you can use a voltmeter to confirm correct polarity for your application.

6. I made sure to check the little diagram before I grabbed it. You're right, though--a reverse-polarity wall wart can seriously screw things up.

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have drawers full of them, some are over 20 years old. :eyebrow:

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I am a bit of a packrat, and I got it from my Dad.

I do throw some stuff out, but I have never thrown out a wall wart. I probably have 15 - 20 that I no longer have a use for. Occasionally, we will buy something that needs a power supply. I always check my collection before I buy one. At least once or twice a year, I find that I have a power supply that works with the new toy.:hyper:

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    My drawers are also full of junk that's over 20 years old. :eek: (sorry)