1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Like Hardcore but not sXe

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JoeVictim, Mar 20, 2009.

1. I have been coming into a dilema lately. I love hardcore music but I am not edge. Just about all hardcore bands are straight edge. I have never been to a straight edge show before. Closest I came was when Face to Face opened up for Snapcase. I am concerned that I will be minding my own business, drinking a beer and...well, Boston Beatdown comes to mind. Sick of it All is the only non sXe hardcore band I am familiar with. I really like bands like Champion, Bane, and Most Precious Blood, but they bring the edge crowd.

Now I still love punk, always will. But, I have really taken a liking to some hardcore all the sudden. Can anyone recommend a band that is hardcore but not sXe? Anyone else feel the same, or have had similar experience, or worse experiences? I don't feel like getting my head stomped just because I want to have a drink.

2. Why would you want to support artists that have such an ignorant ideology and zealous crowds? It's akin to religious prosletyzing. Good music or not, such narrow-minded artists would never get my support.

That said, since when did all hardcore music become straightedge? I must be out of the loop.

3. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hardcore is basically not having fun set to music.

Just go pick up some Misfits, Cramps and Damned records, and wait for the smiles to come.

4. Not all hardcore, just most of it. If you consider some of the older bands like Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, and all the old greats as hardcore, then non sXe bands outnumber the edgers. Sorry guys, I like the music, it is good stuff. The owner of my old local record store pointed me in the direction of some of the first "new" hardcore bands that I listened to. Bands like Warzone and Cause for Alarm was my first exposure to what was going on in NY and that whole scene. It was at that point that I started listening to SOIA and they are my favorite band.

Don't get me wrong, I love punk rock. I have just been trying to find out about some good bands that I really don't know about. At the same time I can't say if the bands promote beating up people. None of the bands I listed above have any songs about it that I know of. But, bands like Hatebreed and Terror do condone beating up non sXe'ers to prevent the "poisons" from being around them.

As for fun, I am not trying to go to a martial arts exhibition, I just want to circle pit. Snapcase had one of the gnarliest pits I have ever been in and SOIA is one of the best live shows I have ever been to. It was loads of fun. I don't agree that it's no fun at a hardcore show.

Keep it coming.

5. i've been to more hardcore shows than i can remember, mostly while drinking and smoking when the venues allowed it and never once had a problem with anyone. sure, i've heard plenty of stories of people getting beat down at a hxc show, but it never had anything to do with sxe vs. drug/alcohol users. however, i read a while back that earthcrisis is doing a reunion tour or something equally ridiculous. if you just have to have a beer at a show, i would strongly advise you not to do it at that one.

6. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    So you're going to let the adolescent, half-assed ideologies of a bunch of apes prevent you from enjoying yourself at a show, how you want to enjoy yourself? Doesn't seem worth it.

Go where you want, drink what you want, and if someone steps up, put up your dukes.

As for me, I'll be hanging with a bunch of cats who know a good time that involves booze and girls. We tend to laugh more and not take ourselves as seriously...

7. ;)
    That's what I am saying, I totally avoid those shows. As for throwing dukes, in these types of circumstances it's not uncommon for there to be 6 or 7 guys thrashing you. (youtube boston beatdown) I guess we all have it coming eventually. Nazis are the same way though too, and it doesn't have to be a hardcore show for those boneheads to be there. They beat the crap out of you in numbers too.

Anyways, it doesn't sound like you have any FSU members in your area sarcastro83. I guess Canada is safe for now, eh? ;)

The point of this thread was to discover hardcore bands that weren't sXe and see if anyone has had problems at shows before.

8. Terror and Hatebreed are "straightedge"? I had no idea. I've seen them both live and both the crowd and myself were hammered. Never had any problems. Then again I'm bigger than most kids at those shows heh heh.

9. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I wouldn't really know about FSU (what is that, anyway?). I think I was in a post-hardcore band for like three weeks at one point until I got fed up with everyone's crap. I hate scenes.

I'm old and cranky. Heh.

10. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    terror is hatebreed is not... you gotta find that posi hardcore crowd.. come to central pennsylvania.. teh hardcore kids here dont care if ur not hardcore they just care that you like good music..

its kinda like "people with tattoos dont care if you dont have tattoos" type of attitude

11. Definitely watch Boston Beatdown. All you need to know.

12. Didn't know Hatebreed broke edge. Any thoughts on some good bands D Rokk? aka shows I won't get murdered at?

13. I just watched some "boston beatdown". So far as I can tell, it's a bunch of scrawny kids (save for the odd barrel) starting fights by taking cheap shots. Talk about a revocation of the Man Card. Sad, that kids not only act that way, but even the people on the sidelines accept it. I say kids, because men do not act like that.

14. Hardcore lifestyle is about going to the gym every day, wearing really clean shoes and beating the piss out of anyone who threatens your beliefs.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm a drunk and love straight edge hardcore. Don't worry, go to the shows. If you aren't a complete idiot then you'll be fine. Why do you have to get drunk while at the show? If the majority of the people there aren't drinking, why can't you enjoy some sweet tunes while sober? If other people there are drinking, then watch how they present themselves and you'll see how nobody really cares.

The problems happen when a drunk idiot shows up to see a straight edge band and is knocking into people in the pit and/or spilling beer on them. That's when people start getting pissed off and trying to shove you out of the way and to the back, and usually when stupid drunks feel like they've been "wronged" somehow.

Go to the show, drink your beer with the other people drinking beer, chug some outside or whatever, go enjoy the music and don't be an obnoxious drunk. You'll be fine.

15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I've gotten into a couple fights with some FSU kids for smoking outside hardcore shows. Nothing physical, just verbal. I'm not going to let a group of morons (who sell coke now anyway...) dictate their beliefs to me. I'm there for the music. Some of them don't see it that way.

But if you just keep to yourself and don't smoke cigarettes, you should be fine.

16. I'd say most hardcore isn't straight edge. Even if it is, **** it. It's all about brotherhood :)

And good call on SOIA. Def. the best and most fun live band I have ever seen. Damned nice blokes too ! Just remember ... when it's us vs. them . . .

tattoo.

I'll get you a list of some great hardcore bands to checkout. Check out the local bands, tend to be plenty gems out there

17. Check out Risky Business, Bus Pass, Mental, Casey Jones for good two stepping.

18. oh boy.. here comes the barrage of ignorant statements about a culture they dont understand because they listen to sensationalist media icons like geraldo rivera.

ive been attacked more times for quietly being straight edge than i know of straight edge kids attacking anyone else. ive had a knife pulled on me for wearing a youth crew shirt and setting up before a show. i didnt say a word to the guy and i had a knife 6 inches from my face.

just because they are edge bands doesnt mean you have to be edge to listen to them. down to nothing and Xlooking forwardX are both amazing bands that arent preachy and favored by people of all walks of life.

terror can suckit. i saw them at firestorm fest and i wanted to kick the singer in the head. people like him make people like me look like an a-hole.

i stay away from hardcore shows, even if i like the band. crowd movement is cool.. ninja dancers arent. punching people isnt. even when standing well out of the way, people expect you to fight them. aggressive music.. sure.. but i just want to stand and enjoy it. i dont want to be kicked anymore, i dont want to be dragged into fights, i dont want skinheads picking fights, and i dont want to have to spend the entire show fighting people off to enjoy a show. so i stay away altogether and just listen to it at home.

19. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    excuse me but

what in the world is this all about?

20. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    A few of the straight edge hardcore kids and bands are hostile to people who drink, smoke, drug, etc. They're also a violent lot, and very loud, if you catch my drift.

So, as usual, the majority suffers because of a loud minority.