1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Like my rigs tone, but want it smaller/lighter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewClaycomb, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I tried a markbass 2x10 combo in the store today at low volume and was genuinely impressed with the tone. I think it was a LMII head in the cabinet. and I'm starting to want to try the lightweight thing out. I'm thinking maybe 2x12s (epiphany, berg, schroeder, etc...) and a Markbass LMII.

Will I be happy with the tone? I am very happy with my tone now, it's just the weight and size I don't like anymore.

2. I'll have it

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm extremely happy with the tone of my LMII, but I still haven't sold my all-tube amps.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You should try Phil Jones amps too. They are the bomb!!

5. lol roflcoptersauce

But to the OP, Try out as many combinations, only you know what you like, but a lot of people have posted success, and some have posted utter failure.

6. My problem is where I live I can't try out anything other than Ampeg, GK and SWR. My Guitar Center just got their first Markbass piece in today and that's what I tried out.

I ordered my YBA200 entirely because the praise it received here when it first came out. That's another piece of gear that seems to have fallen out of style around here.

7. I would say wait a while for any "hype" to die down... there is a bit more to both sides now, a good number support and a good number discredit the lighter weight amps/cabs.

You can always hope for more and more soundclips of in the mix sounds and alone and then make a decision off of what you hear from those, and just general descriptions of tone and characteristics. Not much else really...

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Definitely try before you buy but, I think the Epi cabs and the LMII is incredible. I have a UL115.

9. So I'm assuming with the lack of response that I'll be happy with the LMII. It will have the same warmth and presence? The cab choice is debating semantics with the higher end products?

Also will 2x12 have the same even coverage that my 2x10 and 1x15 delivers?

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Before I went small, I had a 2x12 cab and it was the best. Way better than any other combination I had.

11. what kind of 2x12 did you have? What amp did you use with it?

12. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Andrew, you really have to listen to the combination of head and cabs to decide if they produce your tone. Nobody else will be able to decide that for you.

How much Tabasco do you put on eggs? More than some, less than others. Depends on taste. There are no measurements for tone.

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Minus those who want a vintage all-tube grind, I feel that there is probably SOME combination of lightweight cabs and lightweight heads that will provide a given player the tone they are after, at least close enough to make them really happy. The problem is knowing what the combination is, and not going broke trying to find it.

14. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    If you are happy with the tone you have, then I suggest you stick with what works. Many a player has given up gear that they loved only to kick themselves later for selling it. I still kick myself for selling that '78 Ric, but at the time I really wanted to try something new. I'd love to have that bass back again, but alas, I sold it looking for "something better".

If you need a lighter weight rig rig due to physical llimitations, then that is one thing, but personally, I think the quest for tone should be about the TONE, not the weight!