Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Like new Fender MIA Precision price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Transverz, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Help would be appreciated :)

Being offered a (supposedly) like new Fender MIA Precision. All I know of it is that it's a recent year (probably 2002-2004), it has a string through body (this rules out being a Hwy 1, right?), it has only a P p/u, and it's black. I have no other info until I see it in person.

Knowing this, and assuming it's in perfect condition, how much is decent to pay for this?

Thanks in advance :D

-T

2. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, I have searched through MF and other sites like that and have found that (at least in the current offerings) the only string thru, MIA Precision with only a P p/u, and is not a vintage reissue, is the straight up "Fender American Precision Bass" (the one with the S-1 switch).

However, I really don't think that this is it. Which is why I'm asking for insight. Or if it could only BE this, how much would it be worth slightly used with no cosmetic/functional issues?

Thanks again :)

-T

3. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Do an Ebay search for precision. Youll get about 5 pages worth of stuff to look at and compare prices. Im guessing about 550- 650 range based on what ive been seeing there.

4. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Jim,

I did that and did also notice the 550-650 range. But...

Are those the "Fender American Precision Bass" (the one with the S-1 switch and sells new for like $1,000)? It's so hard to tell. IS there a MIA Fender Precision that has a string-thru body without that switch? Or have they always had it on there?

Thanks all the same :D

-T

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The switchy-witchy is a pretty recent addition to the MIA basses.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Transverz, I can't keep up with Fender's options, but I hope I can help. I bought a used 2002 or 2003 MIA Standard P-Bass with the S-1 switch off of Ebay about 6 months ago for under $500.00.

It's bridge is strings-through-body only. It's in fantastic shape, but I think it was a bit cheaper because it has a Plain Jane black finish w/a black pickguard and a rosewood 'board.

My guess is that the S-1 switch is a relatively new feature.

I think MF or GC was selling them new for $899.00 at that time. $500 to $650 used is what I see also.

I hope you find your new P-Bass soon.

-Art.

7. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks very much! I appreciate your insight on this subject. I'm still a bit undecided on getting a P, but it's really, really intriguing! I keep thinking, "what am I missing out on?". But opinions and advice like everyone is giving helps out greatly. :D

BTW, PM Sent to you Arthur :D :D

-T

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    $550 is the limit I'd pay for a used P bass. "Like new" condition is awesome to find, but it wouldn't make me pay a new price. Great P's can be found all over the place in the
    $550 price range.

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hi, these guys have it pretty much covered.
    I'll add - I bought a 1999 USA Precision NOS from a dealer this past year. I paid just a bit over $600 USD with case.

no S-1 switch...and it has string thru loading. It also has graphite rods in the neck.

I made a few mods to mine, here she is...
    trans blonde finish over a solid ash body -

[​IMG]

10. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Beautiful!!! drool drool :bassist:

11. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    thanks Jim!
    The stock pups were replaced with EMG's. Now the EMG's are long gone and it has a set of Alembic Activators installed.....as does the Jazz bass :)

sorry for getting a bit off-topic..but I can't help it:D
    one more gratuitous shot of the fender killers

[​IMG]

12. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    oh yea, i remember reading the thread about that mod... what'd that run you??

13. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

I bought the P-bass Activators from a TB member for $225.00 and did the mod myself. The custom knobs cost me around 25.00

14. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Not bad... mmmm .. Ive got P-gas really bad right now and cant decide if i want to mod a cheap MIM, buy a decent recent for 5-600 or sell one of my kids and go for the mid 60's Oly white, tort that keeps recurring in my dreams.

15. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    You should be able to get a date on the bass based on the serial number. If it's American and in that year range, it should start with a Z, and then have the year. Like a 2003 would be Z3XXXXXX, and a 2002 would be Z2XXXXX (if I am remembering correctly).

I would agree that the $500 - $650 would be about normal, anything below $500 would be a great deal, especially on a P in really good shape.

Don

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    This has probably been covered plenty in the Luthier's forum, and not to derail the thread, but I still have the usual dead spots on my G-string regardless of the graphite rods in the neck. :confused: But this isn't a life or death thing, I'm pretty used to it being mainly a Fender player for so many years.

Whereas on my Roscoe and Czech-Spector, which also have graphite reinforced necks, the dead spots aren't nearly as obvious. My Alembic Europa's multi-laminate neck has no graphite rods, it's very hard to find dead spots on it. Weird stuff.

IMO & IME graphite rods don't eliminate dead spots, they reduce them.

Even on my Modulus, I've found some notes that aren't as lively as others, but I've read the frets crown may be responsible for this.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Thanks, Art

17. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I was kind of brought down a notch when I finally took the time to read the little explaination on the whole "Graphite rod" deal in Fender necks . Turns out it's actually just a wooden rod covered with some sort of material/cloth they can call graphite. I don't see how the cloth actually reinforces a maple neck under the pressure of a steel truss rod. Seems if it has any effect it would be due to the two maple rods not the "graphite covering". Wish they would either use steel rerods as opposed to wood or just do a traditional maple and steel truss neck the right way (like G&L) and forget the gimmicks.

18. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Those are indeed awesome and beatiful looking basses AlembicPlayer. Man, that vintage white/olympic P is exactly what I would be looking for! Man oh man!

Thanks for everyone's input too.

And regarding dead spots, my MIM Jazz has dead spots for days and days. Certain frets and on certain notes, it just gets really muddy or just lifeless. Kinda saddens me when I notice from time to time....but I guess when I finally get my hands on a quality piece (MIA or MIM), it will be that much sweeter :)

-T