Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Like Radio?..Check this out

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Murf, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Came across this beauty a few days ago...

www.pandora.com

It's brilliant (especially for work)..basically type in a favourite artist and it creates a radio station based on that artists recordings but (and this is the best bit) it also includes "similar" artists on the playlist (eg if you like "X" then listen to "Y" as well)..I found it great for discovering bands I was never exposed to.

(mind you its not 100% accurate...I mean Jellyfish is similar to Belle & Sebastian...?????? :D

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    my friend showed me this when i was down one night, the "Bitches Brew" station is killer! cheered me up!

3. thats cool!
    and it appears to be free too!

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I've just created Rush, Frank Zappa and Kiss stations. I have that music in my personal colection, but the cool thing about radio stations is not knowing what's next. Also added the site to my favorites list. Very cool! :cool:

P.S.: And yes, each station also plays music from similar artists. Even cooler!

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    very cool thank you!

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Originally the first 10 hours were free then you paid a minimal subscription..however now it seems like you just register and have to put up with ads (although I havent heard any yet and I use it A LOT in work)..

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    this thing is cool, you get some odd mixes too. I created a station for the band "Tortoise" to see if i liked more than 1 song from them and the Primus' cover fo SIlly Putty started playing, I wasn't really expecting that.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I ran a Kenny Wayne Shepherd channel and am digging what's coming out.

Might make my Christmas list much longer.

9. Nice. Of course I had to lie about having a US post code. I have only listened to a handful of songs so far. Do you guys feel there is enough variation in the music?

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    play with the interface it's intuitive

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    interesting. I just made a Slayer radio station.

12. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Linus and Lucy by Vince Guaraldi.

Pimpin'.