1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Like Slowounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Boozy, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Okay, here is a question I have been curious about, maybe someone else has wondered this as well and has some input..

I miss the sound and feel of Slowounds, I used them for a quite a while on my 4 string (always tuned EADG).. I miss them.

I have, however, been tuning down a full step (DGCF) lately and threw on some Ernie Ball Power Slinkys to give some extra tension (55-75-90-110).. I like them and all, but..

So, Basically, is there a string that sounds and maybe even feels like Slowounds but with some extra tension for tuning down a full step?

I never did try the Slowounds while tuned down because I had some GHS Boomers on my bass, but my guess is that the standard 45-65-85-105 would have been too floppy and they discontinued them anyways. I did like them tuned down 1/2 a step tho.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Rotosounds are really high tension, but they have a very rough feel to them. I especially like the pressure wound Rotos.

DR strings have always felt good to my fingers. They are very smooth and very good sounding strings. I can't say how they compare to Slowounds since I never tried those.