Like Slowounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Boozy, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Okay, here is a question I have been curious about, maybe someone else has wondered this as well and has some input..

I miss the sound and feel of Slowounds, I used them for a quite a while on my 4 string (always tuned EADG).. I miss them.

I have, however, been tuning down a full step (DGCF) lately and threw on some Ernie Ball Power Slinkys to give some extra tension (55-75-90-110).. I like them and all, but..

So, Basically, is there a string that sounds and maybe even feels like Slowounds but with some extra tension for tuning down a full step?

I never did try the Slowounds while tuned down because I had some GHS boomers on my bass, but my guess is that the standard 45-65-85-105 would have been too floppy and they discontinued them anyways. I did like them tuned down 1/2 a step tho.

Thanks in advance.
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Rotosounds are really high tension, but they have a very rough feel to them. I especially like the pressure wound Rotos.

DR strings have always felt good to my fingers. They are very smooth and very good sounding strings. I can't say how they compare to Slowounds since I never tried those.