..Like the Tobias Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greatcrimson, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Greatcrimson

Greatcrimson Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    I’m a long time 4 string player (i.e. I’m old) and I'm contemplating a 5 string bass purchase. So far the bass that I liked the best...because of its neck, was a used Tobias Killer B. Does anyone know of other basses with similar neck widths that I should try? Thanks
  2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you're talking about the string spacing....I think it's a pretty standard 17mm as opposed to the wider style of 19mm that you would find on oh..a sadowsky or lakland.

If you're talking about neck profile and the feel of the neck...I've never encountered anything that is even remotely like my tobias classic 5. Not cheap anyway...
  3. Your probably refering to the fact that all the gibson tibiases have an assyementric neck. I had a Gorler 5 for a while and didn't really dig the neck shape, but that's just me. I would just look for other basses with the assyementric neck. I think warmoth makes assymetric necks?? I'm not sure about that one.
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I believe MTD (Michael Tobias Design) basses have asymmetrical necks. If you like Tobias, then definitely check out an MTD. This is Michael Tobias' current company.

Don't the Ibanez BTB basses have asymmetrical neck profiles as well? And those necks are wider than the pencil-thin Soundgear necks.
  5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I think that warmoth offers a few necks with an asymetrical profile (deluxe 5, gecko, maybe others). What exactly did you like about that neck?
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I bet that neck stinks! :smug:

MTDs, Ibanez BTBs on the 500 and above level, and Carvins with the "5W" (wider neck) option also have asymetrical shapes, but I'm not going near the "New Coke" argument. Old-school Tobias have a multitude of great things, one of which is the asym neck. The particular carving, string-spacing... all of which is why I'd love to own one, given the chance.

IMO, asym necks are a wonderful thing, but not a "must have".
  7. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    MTD!!! You'll love the necks and Mike is a great guy! :cool:
  8. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    The Killer B is a nice bass,esspecially if its a pre gibson. All tobias and MTD have that shape and they are a good buy. Hey what do you mean your old cause you play a four. Some of my favorite bass players play a four.. Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Jaco, Will Lee etc etc.
  9. Greatcrimson

Greatcrimson Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    Thanks for all the replys, but I guess I should have been more specific in my question. I was refering to the spacing not the shape. I know that Tobies have an asymetrical shape, but that didn't thrill me so much. The spacing however was perfrect for my hand. I'm looking to start my 5-string experience down market a little (read:inexpensive) so, that's where my real interest is. Do the cheaper MTD's (Heir, Kingston, Saratoga) have similar necks to the more expensive models? - Thanks to all!