Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

like to share my music.

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by rob f johnson, Feb 1, 2006.

1. rob f johnson

rob f johnson

Nov 15, 2005
    nelson bc
    Hi all this is my first musical post to introduce myself and my music please let me know what you think? the recording is not great but its live it was recorded @ a gig around Christmas 2005 on a minidisc to stereo mike. fun band though!
    thanks for listening
    rob Johnson
    please visit my website

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Sounds great man. The first thing I listen to on any recording is if the bass player is in the pocket/grooving/swinging. You definitely have that. Such a swinging but relaxed feel. You also do some nice lines to outline and even push the chords.

My only suggestion is on your solo. On a solo that long I like to hear more development. You have great ideas and good chops and while I liked it, I found my attention starting to wander. It is very hard to grab an audiences attention with a bass solo. I've found more success with this if I start way down and build from there. We can't match the volume or speed of a sax player. Consquently we need to build our own framework.

Overall great. I really enjoyed 12'11" of it.

3. rob f johnson

rob f johnson

Nov 15, 2005
    nelson bc
    Hey thanks Im glad you enjoyed it. and thanks for the suggestion on the solo. its somthing
    ive been thinking more about as of late,how to build ideas in my solos. starting of more sparse and building it up.
    I checked out your site and realy liked softly nice
    band lots of interplay also realy enjoyed your playing . what type of strings are you using?
    rob

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Softly was also recorded on minidisc. The bass I was playing was a Shen Willow with Obligatos. I was a die-hard Thomastik guy on my German ply but that Shen is really bright. The Obligatos seem to match well. I'm going to be posting new recordings of that group soon.

My favorite soloist (and bass player for that matter) to listen to right now is Drew Gress.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I agree with fingers on the soloing...when solos last that long there needs to be a bit more growth. For what it's worth, I found my attention wandering during the guitar solo as well :p. Anyway, I really liked the way you guys comped for each other -- your guitarist was very responsive rhythmically, and your walking was very nice.

I know minidiscs certainly aren't the preferred method of recording basses, but I still find your tone a bit thin. Is this just from the recording setup? I looked at your profile and your setup (realist, obligatos, minibrute) seems like it'd lend itself to a much fatter sound.

6. rob f johnson

rob f johnson

Nov 15, 2005
    nelson bc
    The mike I used I feel was the culprit for the thin sound. but I liked the feel and the playing of the band so I posted it. i will put another song on my site soon thats more audible from a cd I made last year.
    by the way im using heritage strings now and relly like em!
    talk soon