1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Like your Squier but not the name?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Just sand of the logo and change the neck plate so there are no more logos and tell people it is a custom shop with a third party custom neck :)

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Interesting post from a Tricked out Squier Club member.

Tone is in the hands, not the headstock.

3. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Meh...I'm going to go with I really don't care what's on the headstock. If it feels good, sounds good and looks good, why change it? :D

4. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Sig worthy

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Why? I Show people I play Squiers and am proud of it.

6. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    I don't care what the headstock says, if it plays good, sounds good and looks good, I'm happy.

7. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I was reading a thread about a guy being amazed by the tone of a vm. So this was a brain fart that i had. More a humourous jab than anything. I do have one with the logo removed from the headstock but i left the other squier identifiers intact and i am not ashamed of the name. Also i will never put another logo on it unless it was in fun. I was thinking about calling it Frank in the fender font with the serial # 0u812 a vh reference. Cause i frankensteined it with another vm and a fender bridge. Just havin fun ;-)

8. Well, the first step is admitting the problem...

9. Now for another take, replace the Fender logo with a Squier and guage people's reactions. Sounds good for a Squier, but it's no Fender, etc.

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Seems more like trolling.

11. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Lol you nail'd it.

12. Eh, i think at the end of the day, the only people whose opinions of you, your playing, or your band are swayed by what's on your headstock don't really matter.

Some guy on the internet?

Some louse working at a guitar center?

Some out of touch guy with too much money that doesn't care about music in the first place?

Why should i, or any other working musician care? I play music for fans of music... not fans of gear.

The pure buffoonery of some of these people is astounding. I was hanging out with a guy that played guitar in a musical i was the pit-bassist for last year. He had a cover band set, in which he plays bass. He plays this beautiful Mike Lull P/J. Some random bro came up to him afterwards and said, "Man, you sound great... but i betcha' you'd sound even better without some Wal Mart crap bass. You should getcha' a real Fender." And then left with an air about him that he had done some great service.

These days, i play my short scale SX Jaguar (J/J). But even IF Fender made a short scale with a J/J configuration, my SX plays and sounds great. I see no reason to pay more for a different label on the headstock. I have only even gotten compliments on the bass, it's look, and it's tone. Shoot, i think i've gotten MORE positive comments when i play "lesser" basses, like SX, Squier, Peavey or Ibanez than i did with Fenders and G&L's. Anyone that has made any negative comment, has really only come off like a jerk...

13. jthurston

jthurston

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    +1

14. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I have a mim jazz and 2 vm's maybe i should try that and see what happens :)

15. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I don't own a Squier but I am seriously looking at fivers and one of the Squier models is right up there with anything else I've tried so it is not impossible that I will own one soon. If I do buy one I would be very strongly tempted to sand off the headstock logo ... and replace it with one that says SQUIRE!

Ken :D

16. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Here^ I will say it again nobody at least Jane or Joe Q Public give a rats' hoot about what bass, guitar,drums, keyboard etc you are playing they just want them to sound good. If you can sound good and feel good playing a bass that cost $100.00..great! If you need a high end bass or a vintage that costs thousands great too.
    The only person who cares what your bass cost is you. if your good with it then its good. Nobody else cars unless its a music snob or another bass player. If I can play a Squier, sound great knowing nobody cares? I will save the money I would of spent on a fancy bass and put it in my daughters college fund.

Bottom line is nobody but you really care's what you play if you sound good playing it. There can be a rare exception but overall..nobody cares about your custom that cost you $5000.00 or my squiers that cost $200.00.

17. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    That there is some kind of funny :D

18. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    yep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.