Lil' Berg Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, May 24, 2002.

1. I just came from a Big John Dickerson gig... his bassplayer had an Eden Traveler with four 1 X 12 Bergi's stacked like a cube...
    It was trully a sight to behold... imagine four of these... and what a great sound! (sorry for hi-jacking your picture jokerjkny :p)

Later in the evening I asked him why Bergis and not Aguilars and he said it was personal taste... but he thought the Bergis were "clearer" sounding. But how'd he do that... seems like a LOT of speaker for a small amp... and wouldn't the 2 ohm load be ruff on that head?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    And your point is?

People routinely run 8 10" speakers with 300 watts, why should it be weird to run 4 12" with similar wattage?

As far as the impedance load, maybe he had a stereo Traveler head or hooked the cabs up in series/parallel.

Even better than stacking them like a cube would be piling them up in a tower. Stacking speakers in a vertical array gives much better projection into the room.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've currently got my DB750 running 2 GS112 cabs. I'm looking for an excuse to buy two more so I can run 4 of 'em at 2 Ohms.
  4. Brian... I guess my point was; a 400 watt amp pushing 1200 watts worth of speakers? Seems like a bit of a mismatch to be... but evidentally not, it sounded awesome!

And then, duh... I forgot about the series/parallel thing... must have been too early in the morning... :D
  5. So bassmonkeee... what would happen, soundwise, if you mixed two Bergis or Epifanis with your Aguilars... would it be the best of both?... or pure crap?
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I haven't tried to mix and match 1x12 cabs. But, if jokerjkny's experience with one Berg and one Aggie is any indication, it sounds like I would be in hog heaven.

But, I am happy enough with the tone I get from the matched pair of Aggies that I don't think I could justify the expense of the Bergs. Of course, I cant really justify adding two more 1x12s of any kind, honestly. I mean, I almost knocked myself over with just two of them the other day. It was fun. :D