1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'Lil Help? Stingray HH Swap Results in Bridge 'Bucker Hum

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bottoms_Up!, May 17, 2011.

1. Bottoms_Up!

Bottoms_Up! For the record, I don't love Raymond. Gold Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Hi folks,

I recently picked up a white 'Ray HH with a matching headstock. The other day I thought it would be fun to swap all of the hardware with the black hardware from my Stealth HH including the black PUPs.

Once I got the white 'Ray together, re-strung, and tuned up, I plugged her in and *bzzzzzzzzzzzzz*. The bridge PUP hums like a mofo!

Now, I'm pretty confident with my soldering skills and I checked my connections and they look fine so I cannot, for the life of me, figure this out.

Funny thing is, when I pull the bridge PUP out to take a look while plugged in, I can get the hum to disappear simply by articulating it in various positions but as soon as I put it back into its normal position, *bzzzzzzzzz*. Frustrating to say the least.

Do any EBMM guys know if the PUPs on a double-humbucker instrument are position-specific? Meaning, the bridge PUP needs to be in the bridge spot and the neck PUP needs to be in the neck spot. Or are they simply the same PUP? They sure do look the same.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance.

2. Bread Knife

Bread Knife

Oct 8, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Bump!

Did you get this solved? I'm no help here, but it sounds annoying at the least.

3. Bottoms_Up!

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I ended up bringing it to a tech. Seems I fried one of the coils while soldering. I've got a new PUP coming from SLO. Hopefully this will be back soon. I just don't get why I need to send the old one back AND pay for the new one.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Why would they want the bad pickup back if you are buying a new one? That's crazy. You could have had the bad coil rewound for about $50. I did a rewind not too long ago on an old MM pickup.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Also when you do work like that on your bass always check all of the soldering connections and make sure the ground wire is touching the borrom of the bridge.

6. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I was going to guess that you screwed one of the coils up to where it shorted, but looks like you got that sorted. Post pics when its done !

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    EBMM does this to make sure that their pickups aren't being sold for other basses. If you're neck goes bad you have to send it in to prove that it did. You can't just buy a new MM neck unless they know that something happened to the original.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep. I had my preamp go bad in one of my Stingrays and had to send it back to them in order to get a replacement. They don't want any spare parts out there circulating around...

9. Bottoms_Up!

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I do understand that, however, I've now technically paid twice for one PUP. By all means, keep the original PUP, but cut me some slack on the price for the replacement.

Oh well, I hope this would be a different matter if this was a warranty repair?