Lil' Help? Stingray/Piezo Content...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bottoms_Up!, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Bottoms_Up!

Bottoms_Up! For the record, I don't love Raymond.

Apr 14, 2009
    Worcester, MA
    I'm looking into buying this 'Ray. The guy says its a Piezo configuration, but I'm not convinced.

The bridge looks different than the current Piezo bridges and there's only 4 pots. Could this possibly be an older model Piezo with a 2-band EQ? All the research I've done has come up short.

Take a gander at the pics and lemmie know what ya's think.

Copyofmusicmanwht001.gif
    Copyofmusicmanwht002.gif
    bigbridge.gif

What says yous??

2. I don't see any Piezo magnets on the bridge Saddles, so I'd say he's full of it.

3. Bottoms_Up!

Apr 14, 2009
    Worcester, MA
    That's what I thought as well. So what's the deal with the access panel in the back behind the bridge?

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    It looks like a piezo cut body without the piezo electronics. That thing has been "modified." (imagine air quotes)

5. I don't see any piezos either

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Also, piezo equipped StingRays have 5 knobs on the control plate, not 4.
    Too fishy. Someone cobbled a bass together from parts.

7. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Or something.

Might be a decent bass, good player, all that - but it ain't what he thinks it is.

Jack

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    It's a piezo body, but not a piezo bass. There never was a 2 band piezo.

9. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Yeah not to mention it has the newer neck plate as well. Piezo body without the piezo bridge. Have him remove the access cover and I bet nothing is in there.

10. Bottoms_Up!

Apr 14, 2009
    Worcester, MA
    I'm in Boston. This bass is @ GC in San Bernardino so its hard to inspect. :)

Thanks for all the help guys, with this info he finally got around to telling me its a 'Ray with the Piezo taken out. I hardly think it was intentional, more that he didn't know too much about it.

$775 with case. I don't think so...not with those mods + it's got some serious body checks. Specifically on the matching headstock.

11. Christ, thats a good price either way. You guys get bass gear sooo damned cheap :(

Tho it is fishy as buggery!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021