Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lil help ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Big L, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Big L

Big L

Jul 25, 2001
    Yo. Can anyone tell me what P means on a tab. example
    -----------4p5----------

2. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm pretty sure that it means to pop the string.

3. Hmmm...
    I was under the impression that a p meant a pull off, but if it's 4p5, then honestly...
    I have no idea what it is.

Now if it were 5p4, then it'd probably be a pull off.

But...well...I couldn't really say in this case.

4. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah Sheepy. It is for a pull-off. Well I see that someone has been boning up on his tabs :) Nice to see you get something right...for a change ;)

5. If its written like this:

|------
    |------
    |------
    |-5p4-

That means to do a pull off

This:
    P P
    |------
    |------
    |------
    |-5--4-

Means to pop both notes

The P can be under the lines too

6. Well the capital Ps in the 2nd example SHOULD be over the 5 and 4. But they arent.

7. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    its just a mistake .. some guys get mixed up in the heat of the moment :D he (or she) probably means to "hammer on" in this case, as you can't pull off (excuse me :p) to a higher note, can ya ?

8. Big L

Big L

Jul 25, 2001
    pull off? how does one do that?

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    this is merely the act of hammering on "backwards". say if you played a G with your ring finger and hammered "down" with your index finger to a Gb, that would be a pull-off. a "reverse" hammer-on, if you will :D awkward to explain, hope i got it right.

10. A pull off...
    Ok, it's been explained countelss times before, I guess now it's my turn. :D

Let's say, in that example if it's 5p4, then fret the string at both the 4th and 5th frets.

Pluck/pick/slap/strike the string so that (for arguments sake, let's say it's the E string) you get that very pleasant-soounding A note. :D

Then, while the A is still ringing, use the finger that's fretting the A to pull off of the string, thus essentially re-plucking it with your finger. Since you're also fretting the G#, the G# will then sound, and you have successfully pulled off a pull off. :D

11. Big L

Big L

Jul 25, 2001
    gotcha. thanks

12. You can do the pull off as stated in that tab. I pull off can be where u play the note and slide your finger down off the string. Its hard to explain.

Place your index finger on the 4 and with your middle finger sorta hit the 5 and pull your finger off and down. You know how they do solo runs higher up on the guitar and work back? sorta like that. Damn! i'd have to show you. I do it all the time. It is a pull off.

Merls

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    merls do you mean something like this ...

E-4h5p4--------

which is to say, hammering on from G sharp to A and pulling back off to A flat ? a sort of "doodle-doo" sound ? :confused:

14. yes

15. Yes thats what i meant. Its only something u can keep practicing, one day you'll now you've done it right.
    ;)

Merls