Lil' Kim sentenced to 366 in Prison

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    She was sentenced for perjury in a shooting case. The judge said he was concerned that she was going to do more time than Martha Stewart for lying but since her crime involved violence he would be tougher. She still got much less than the 3 year seven months prosecutors wanted.

Personally, I have little sympathy for rich folks with money who engage in gun play like they were still on the street corner. She nor her crew had to be in that situation. They kept it real and now they're going to do real time.
  2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Oh my, a celebrity actually went to jail? Yeah right.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Money can buy anything. Except happiness. You have to rent that.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    She got off easy.

Funny* how the judge was concerned about her "celeb" status.

*By funny I mean typical and sickening.
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    As a service to society I am offering my humble extra bedroom as a halfway house to help her get "rehabilitated" back into society at large. :D
  7. Only to compare her sentence to Martha Stewart, make sure she didn't get a substantially longer sentence than Martha. Its ok to make sure similar crimes get similar sentences. Lied about stocks < lied about shooting, so he made sure she did get more time than Martha, but in the ballpark.

As long as judge wasn't using OJ or MJ as points of reference....

8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    It's pretty sad when Judges have to be concerned about being "PC". Of course, he mentioned Martha since they are of different races. He should have just locked Lil Kim's ass up regardless of anyone else's case, race, or anything else. It should be based on HER CRIME, and nothing else.
  9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT least shes getting some time. The sad thing is her records will sell more now than ever. :rollno:
  10. I don't disagree with that, just saying one way to make sure everyone DOES get similar sentences for similar crimes is to see what other people got. If there's no bias, there'll be no discrepancy in sentencing, and looking at other cases confirms that. If there is bias, even unintentionally, looking at other cases can expose that and allow corrections. If Martha got a few months in a country club prison followed by house arrest, Lil Kim probably shouldn't get 20 years (I think that was the max she was facing). Both for lying. He did lock her Lil' Butt up, and for longer than Martha. Which is ok, perjury trumps lying to SEC investigators. Justice was done. Looking at other cases could have prevented her getting too LIGHT of a sentence based on her celebrity status.

My point basically is if the sentencing is fair and consistent, it will stand up to the extra scrutiny. So no harm, no foul.

I agree its a shame. where we differ is that for me, it's a shame that there's enough distrust of the system that judges feel the need to go PC to address that suspicion. What's the alternative? How else to show the system is fair? How else to correct it if it isn't? Better to doublecheck to be sure.