limited budget bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drifter8027, Aug 10, 2005.

1. drifter8027

Aug 10, 2005
    Im new to bass but i play a little guitar and drums but i wanna take up bass. I only have like 200$ to spend on the bass guitar and i need some help deciding which one is best for me. i play rock and metal and stuff like that if that helps.
  2. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Something in that price range new isnt going to be a very good sounding/quaility bass. There are alot of decent used bass for a little more than you are asking. If you insist on new then there is the Yamaha RBX170, Ibanez GSR200. What ever you do, avoid Rogue like the plauge. IMO i would check out ebay. They have some decent bass around your price range
  3. Try a squire jazz or P bass - the Ps probably better for heavier stuff...
  4. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
  5. If possible, go to your local music shop. Play a few and find out what pickup configuration you prefer, i.e. Pbass, Jbass, Humbucker...etc.

If you like the Pbass or Jbass sound, I would recomend an SX for that price range. If you like the humbucker sound (Ernie Ball music man sound), the OLPs are really good basses for that price range, imo of coarse.
  6. A used Fender Precision or Jazz I always see them for 200$ or less That would probably be your best bet good luck :bassist:
  7. QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Try out an Ibanez GSR200. I have the lefty version of this bass and it's quite nice for the cost :)

8. I was wanting a cheap bass to noodle with and picked up a Greg Bennett Series bass, a Fairlane, by Samick for $189 after tax.

It's not any where near as nice as a Fodera, but it's light years ahead of a Hondo.

Another option would be a Squire Jazz bass.
  9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Fender's Squire line has some winners, but you need to look through the crappy masses to find one worth buying. Ergo, do not buy one sight unseen.

Made in Mexico Fender P-bass is probably my fav budget bass. They can be found for a little more than you're looking to spend. They will hold value really well, so if you ever want to sell it, you may actually spend LESS on this bass, if you get what I'm saying.

Here's a superior choice:
  10. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

are playable. many more are not. A MIM and some Yamahas (not the RBX series) come to mind. Try some stuff out, have fun, buying/can be kind-a kick.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.