1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Limited by where you live?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassist15, Mar 24, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Are any of you guys limited to liek genres of music and types of bands you can form by where you live. For example , im REALLY into funk music and in my small Indiana town im one the few high school kids that likes funk and plays an instrument. If i could form any type of band it would be a funk band. Heck i would ever settle for a good funk drummer to jam with. Lol

2. Down here in San Juan, Puerto Rico it's nearly impossible to form a power pop, 60s rock, or alternative pop/rock band simply because 99% of drummers are obsessed with Dream Theater and endless drum kits... and guitarists are obsessed with pointy guitars, the baddest distortion, and superfast supermetal solos. San Juan in terms of rock is Wankerland. Very good bands, mind you, but if it ain't progressive metal might as well get a laptop and FruityLoops.

I mention, say, The Smiths or The Who, and three or four people have heard of them. Literally 3 or 4.

To do something non-metal you'd have to be in the western part of the island (great creative stuff over there)... or at least outside the Metro area.

I finally was able to put together a band after 2 years... it was so freakin hard to get people willing to play something other than classical music with electric guitars. Not dissing the Mozarts with BC Riches guys, but uh not me.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The East Bay is rife with "classic rock" bands. There is almost no country, aside from a little bluegrass, and darn little else. My friend Lee, also a bass player, kills with his cover band because they do more recent rock covers.That seems to enough of a novelty to attract crowds. At one point, when I was looking for a new project, I was checking out three "classic rock" bands that needed a new bass player and they all had virtually the same set lists. It got really bad as "Mustang Sally," "Gimme Three Steps," and "Pride and Joy" made blood squirt from my eyes when people even mentioned those songs. My theory about all that was centered upon the idea that every schmoe that lost his Dilbert cubicle job in Silicon Valley tried to supplement his unemployment checks by digging all their old instruments out of the closet and forming bands. Times were, seemingly, hard for tail-end Baby Boomers.

4. My area recently has a new wave of metasl/hardcore bands, plus alternative.

Of course my band plays psychedelic jams and funk tunes - we just have to watch out not to jam too long - some people just dont get 11 minutes

5. spokane's music scene is terrible, its all emo or emo-pop and such, and some death metal (which is worse). the only reason i go to local club shows anymore is to chill with friends. i can hardly stand paying $10 to get in the door to watch a local band do their cover of the pokemon theme song.....

6. Seattle_BassMan

Seattle_BassMan Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Yeah, so I'm a country guy and I live in Seattle which doesn't really have much of a country scene (anymore). However, I've always been able to get a gig whenever I want just by being a reliable player and easy to get along with. I usually play 7-8 gigs a month. Although, there are times when I have to take a blues or classic rock gig (which I usually enjoy since it's something different).

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I like to write progressive metal music and was sure it would be impossible to find the right musicians out here in Albuquerque, NM. I joined a band and slowly influenced the direction of it to prog metal influenced metal-core. I had to grow my own band to do it :p In hindsight, seeing the musicians/bands that have come and gone, the musicians were there, but the odds (being a newcomer to town) of finding them would have been extremely slim.

The dominant scenes out here are "indie" type music. And classic (thrashy E-tuned) metal.

8. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    It's always about how far you're willing to drive, isn't it?

I live about 20 miles away from Wichita, and it's tough to find someone close enough to make band rehearsals practical. It never fails - the guys who answer my ads for a Christian rock band always live all the way on the other side of Wichita, or in one of the suburbs on the other side of the city.

I played with a drummer for about 4 months who drove 40 miles every rehearsal... it sort of limited us to practice once a week... and impromptu jams were impossible. He ended up leaving the group because of the drive.

Of course, I'm lucky, because I was able to find a few musicians of like mind within ten miles. No pro level keyboardists, though, which is a bummer.

9. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

A "lack of musicians" was never a problem for Seth Horan {http://www.sethsbase.com}. Not quite sure what you're looking to do, but to me he sounds somewhat like a folky version of Les Claypool. I'm doing something similar to him with just a bass and vocals given I didn't find any takers on progressive metal (and now don't have the time given my school schedule, and it's not changing anytime soon), and I've found it's so far big time improved me as a bassist and made me a better musician, though I'm still settling into the new role. If all else fails, you might try something of that nature.

10. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I live in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. You can form a traditional ceilidh band no problem, but anything else is nigh on impossible (Besides maybe classic rock covers). Most people play traditional instruments: fiddle, accordion, pipes etc.

11. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Here in Minnesota, in my small town everyone just loves that fuggin country. I personally can't stand it. The older generations around here tend to play country, where as the kids who play instruments form bands and play punk/emo.

For instance there's this one local crybaby emo/punk band who states they have an unique sound and worship Kurt Cobain and see him as the greatest guitarist.

Luckily I found out a friend of mine played guitar, I had no idea that he did, so if I can find another guitarist and a drummer I'll be on my way.

If not, I'm screwed until I move.

12. My city suffers from an overabundance of hardcore and indie bands. I've been trying to form a rockabilly/psychobilly band, but I can't find any guitarists/drummers who are interested. In a school of literally 4,000 only less than 5 of us know what psychobilly even is, nonetheless love/play it. There is usually a good concert once a month or so, nearby or a bit farther out in LA, so it's survivable. But finding a band is difficult sometimes, just more time for me to sit and practice so I'll be even better when the time comes.

13. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Be glad you don't live in Houston. If you lived 20 miles away from Houston, you would still be in Houston. I'm about 20 miles away from our practice space and I consider that a short drive. Our guitarist and lead singer both drive 40+ miles for every practice.

14. The good news is that if you can field a band in your preferred style, you probably fill a market niche' right out of the box and can build a loyal fan base. It takes awhile to do that when you are trying to build a specialty band of some kind though!

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Miami can be the same way, people having to drive an hour from each end to meet in the middle. I like Albuquerque because you can get just about anywhere in around 25 min or less.

16. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Nope.
    If i were so inclined (and had the ability) I could play with a group of a different genre every night of the week. They're all here.

17. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    3 years ago, no

today, yes

it seems that everyone wants to be some kind of metal/hardcore thing, well at least in the groups of musicians my age anyways. it's making finding a new band rather difficult. that and i'm learning musicians are extremely unreliable, no one seems to know how to pick up a phone.