Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Limited ed. Fender 50th Anniversary Jazz...yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jan 26, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    A guy is offering to sell me one of these locally for $700. He said it is in near mint condition and there were only 500 made. Here is the ad he posted:

"American made Fender Jazz Bass. 50th Anniversary Special Editon, with gold hardware and flamed maple top with case. Serial# J272 out of J500. Only 500 made. Asking 700.00"

I could not find much info about these by just Googling... so I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Sounds like a good deal if only $500 were made, but I could not find that serial # or serial #s that look like that on any site. Can anyone help me out? I'm going to go try it out tonight...but I'd like to know as much as I can beforehand in case I need to haggle, etc.

Thanks!!

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Those basses are sweet. That's a fair (not especially good, but fair) price for a clean USA made used Jazz bass of that vintage IMO, even without the 50th anniversary badge.

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I think that sounds like a great deal if it sounds nice go for it.

also if you are in the market for a Jazz bass take a look at the deluxe their awesome.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Gibson has a hotline you can call about the serial numbers, perhaps Fender has a similar hotline they can give you more information about them on and verify that it is indeed a limited edition and how many were made.

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I just don't get why it has a J272 serial number... aren't these basses from 96 (50th anniversary) and therefore should they not have an N6 + however many other numbers serial...?

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    If it's one of the 1/500 basses, I don't think so. If it's just a bass from '96 and not a true anniversary special edition, then yes, and it'll have a tiny little gold badge on the back of the headstock, but that's all. The special editions have special heel plates, gold hardware, real high quality wood, etc.

Bottom line is, if it's in good shape, 700 is a very good price.

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    It's got the heel plate, gold hardware, the whole shabang. It's a true 50th anniversary limited one, 272 out of 500. I played it tonight. It pretty much sounds like a Fender jazz only the neck is a little slimmer. It has a flamed maple top which gives it a cool pattern over the standard sunburst.

The thing was flawless. The guy has taken excellent care of it over the past 9 years. Perfect condition original Fender tolex case with orange padded lining. All original extras in the case--strap, plastic baggie with paperwork, extra parts, etc... the guy would not even open the plastic baggie for fear of messing up how things were when he got it.

Passive electronics which is fine with me since I have two active basses. Simple controls. The only problem (and this might be typical to jazz basses) is that when the volume knobs for each pickup is set at a different level, it starts buzzing. But only buzzes loudly when turned with pickups facing the amp. With my back to the amp it was pretty quiet, even with the pickup knobs at different levels. With the pickup knobs at the same volume level, it doesn't buzz at all, no matter which way I face. Weird.

$700 seems like a freaking steal, I just don't understand why he's selling it. He said it was a collectors item that would be worth a lot years down the road. I would like to actually PLAY it, not just keep it in a closet, but I am anal about taking good care of my gear.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's not wierd at all. This is how Jazz Basses with two single coil pickups work. They are wired to be humbucking and therefore noise cancelling only if both pickups are full up. Otherwise you get buzz. The sound of true single coil passive pickups is IMO well worth the little bit of hum you can get sometimes. I say jump on that bass and let's see pics!