Limited Edition 60th Anniversary 60s Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OllyW, Jul 16, 2020.

1. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    Just seen Fender have released a 60th Anniversary Jazz.

Seems to be a mash up of the first few years of the Jazz bass with the original concentric volume and tone controls paired with the white binding and matching headstock from a few years later.

Like it though.

0170269881_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

0170269881_gtr_hdstckfrt_001_nr.jpg

0170269881_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.jpg

2. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    Looks nice! I'm more of a Precision Bass guy, but matching headstock is almost always a win.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Low8, staurosjohn and MynameisMe like this.
  4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Oh yea.. very nice. Hmm.

5. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The 50th Anniversary Jazz was a mash-up, too.

But that tiny notch in the pickguard for truss rod adjustments is almost laughable.

Tbone76, RocknRay and Low8 like this.
  6. Is this a Custom Shop model or??

7. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Come on man I was just beginning to accept the idea of not buying anymore basses this year...

Tbone76, nixdad, trothwell and 2 others like this.
  8. matbard

matbard

Jan 27, 2006
    Florence
    No, standard US model

qwench likes this.
  9. RabidMusic

RabidMusic

Jan 29, 2012
    Kentucky
    $2200 at Sweetwater. I actually expected it to be more.

nixdad and qwench like this.
  10. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    U neck. Blah. How comfy is it really? I don't think I've ever tried one. Do not like the feel of the 70s necks though.

Funky Phantom likes this.
  11. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    IMO, the longer time goes on, the more Fender dilutes the authenticity of reproductions.
    I wonder if the lumber is aged as long as it was in the 60's; don't recall too many Pre-CBS basses having neck issues with just a single steel rod. They do have fancy finishes.
    Maybe that's what the buying public wants?

12. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Meh. Nothing new here. Moving on....

13. It's laughable if you want authenticity,yes. That feature would actually make me consider getting it, as I will never buy a bass where I have to remove the neck in order to adjust it. To each his own.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I like the Oly with the tort. I think it looks great with the matching stock.
    The thumb rest is on the wrong side, maybe the picture is upside down haha.

15. antfarm

antfarm

Oct 2, 2017
    Arctic Pearl.
    Tug bar.

16. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Why, why, WHY do they keep putting out anniversary basses with the NON-anniversary necks on them. The first U-shaped Jazz bass necks appeared in 1966 and it was a CRAP neck. Felt like trying to play bass on the fat end of a baseball bat. I was never so glad I had purchased my '65 than when I pulled down the new 1966 Fender Jazz. I had a '65 that I bought in '66 and all of the 60's Jazz basses up through then had what we now call the "60's slim C-shape neck" with 7.25" radius. At least they got the radius correct at 7.25" instead of that 9.5" radius that didn't come out until 1974 and they keep putting on their "60's Vintage" releases. They have to have the records there showing what they made. Why would they put that god-awful U-shaped neck on an otherwise very desirable bass?? This stuff just kills me.:rage:

Funky Phantom, SirMjac28 and JettBlaq like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    OK whatever, it's really just white so...
    I was thinking I could play upside down lefty like a right-handed Jimi Hendrix. That would be cool.

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Agree. Provide access at the nut, do a wagon wheel, or leave it the way it was.

Got that right. They must be stealing a page from Gibson under Henry J. Gibson was notorious for their ill thought out ‘reimagined’ “reissues.” Which is easily the the oxymoron to end all oxymorons.

Funky Phantom and Clutchcargo like this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You don’t have to.

People make way too big a deal out of this. I don’t get it.

First of all, you don’t need to completely remove the neck - nor should you. Detune the strings till they’re fairly slack. Then back the four neck screws out enough to tilt the neck back. Then make your adjustment. Tighten things back up and retune. Voila! Done.

With a little experience you can nail it first try. Or on your second try worst case. You don’t even need to remove the strings first.

:):thumbsup:

20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Im familiar with this procedure but compared to a spoke wheel or easy access truss rod routing.. this is a hassle.
    I don’t know if anyone has experienced your bass neck needing a tweak between sets.. I have and having quick access made a huge difference.
    Truss rod access is one of the first things I look at on a bass and am puzzled as to why builders don’t all provide easy access/spokewheel..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021