Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Limited Edition food.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Collector food.
    Collect all 9 cans!
    Collect the various wrappers!

I just don't get it. I remember back in my yout, there was a promotion that came out with Wonder Bread, where you could get some cool Star Wars cards, one card in each loaf. I got them all, and still have them. Took alot of PB&J sammiches...but at least it was a cool card "premium" for your purchase...

Anywho, what is with advertisers, and even moreso consumers that feel a completist urge to collect what is essentially trash? Is that Coke can with what's her face on it going to be worth money some day? Is that Lays Potato Chip bag with Shrek and Donkey going to put yer kid thru college? No. So stop being stupid.

And "limited Edition" food: Why not call it what it is: a regional test market to see if this white kit kat we threw against the wall will stick?

See, it's just kinda silly. I saw and continue to see this every time I go to the grocery store. I can't really believe people buy into it, but then I see them packrat types on Oprah, and start to thinkin..... you know?

Ultimately, I just think it's a dumb idea made worse over the years. And it carries over to anything "collectable" like TV guides and magazines that aren't centralized to the subject.

Once you add the word "collectable" to an item, right on the packaging, it is essentially anything BUT collectable...because they've prolly made amillion of them. And a million people having the same thing makes it worth squat.

Aw hell...I just felt like sputtering nonsense. Sorry for making you stupider as a result of my ranting.

:D Ron

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    What I love is "New and Improved".

Tooth paste as been getting better and better (allegedly), monthly and yearly for the past 50 years. Does it taste any different? Are your teeth any whiter?

Shampoo...I remember buying Sasson Men's shampoo back when I lived across the lake and the label said "from the finest salons in Europe". Know what? Haven't found the crap anywhere.

VW Eurovan in North America. Know what it's called here? The VW California.

Marketing shmarketing. Just give me the goods.

My EUR $.02

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think some of the "special editions" are just ways of masking deals or joint ventures of some sort. At work, we've been getting in "special edition" Kit Kats and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (inside-outs, or something). They claim to be around for a limited time. After our stock runs out, we go without them for a few months. A few auto-ships later, there they are again.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I remember Mr. T cereal fondly! It was great, but I wouldn't call it a "limited edition" food.

6. b2d2

b2d2

Sep 1, 2004
    Seattle, Wa
    'Preciate the spouting. Food for thought...( :scowl: )

7. Did Mr. T cereal taste like chili when you added milk? :p

(Didn't Mr. T have like 3 food groups, chili, milk and vitamins?)

I know it kept you in school and away from drugs, but how about the taste??

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Eat your words or swallow your pride.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I believe it was capn crunch cereal that had this promotion, but it was the first one I actually wanted to collect at least a couple of.

They gave away these little light-up lightsaber pens as a promotion for episode 2 which had just been released.

now, in and of itself they are only marginally neat, but combine the fact that 4 of my friends also got them, well, the lightsaber duels were epic to say the least.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had some fairly good limited edition grape Mountain Dew the other day.

11. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Nooo, that grape stuff is nasty. It's like bad carbonated kool-aid or something. The code red stuff is pretty good though, I think that was a limited thing that took off.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Just once I'd like to see

NEW!

SUCKS LESS!

on a product (thanks to The Happy Mutant Handbook for that inspiration).

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Now that's funny
    :D :D

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    And this was the guy who said, "I pity the fool who. . . ." Buys commercial tie-in cereal? Modern marketing seems to assume that we are all fools. They may be right! Now where are my Spider-man undies?

15. White chocolate kit kats are friggin delicious. Don't hate, appreciate :cool:

16. as i did i

pitch black mountain dew=yummy

17. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I saw some of that at the store. I wasn't in the mood to waste any vodka, which I would be combining with the drink I chose, so I picked something I knew I liked with and without vodka.

The code red Mountain Dew.

18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that blue mountaint dew is just disgusting.

19. b2d2

b2d2

Sep 1, 2004
    Seattle, Wa
    I like 'em too. Hey, where do you guys get all the quotes at the bottom of your posts

20. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    We manifest them from the 7th dimension.