1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Limited Musical Taste

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jhan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

Wondering about something:

Why is it that so many musicians I've met only seem to listen to one genre of music? (Or two at the most.) Death metalers listen to death metal, jazz guys listen to jazz, punkers listen to punk, indie rockers listen to indie stuff or maybe Velvet Underground. It seems that so many musicians are so limited.

What gives with that? Is it some kind of concerted effort to NOT like things or force oneself to be limited? The best musicians I've played with had varied tastes and were fluent in different genres. Is there some kind of law that one cannot listen to Cannibal Corpse and Kansas and Theivery Corporation all in the same week?

I'm a metal guy, and familiarity with other genres makes me better at playing metal. Isn't that part of being a musician? Isn't that what makes being a musician so enjoyable in the first place?

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I play in a experimental metal band and I listen to everything from light Jazz - Pink Floyd - alternative - some Hip Hop - some country... I think it makes me a better musician and well rounded....

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Two shots of espresso this morning? Lighten up. To each his own, and all that rot. If someone likes ONE genre, what's the problem with that?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Maybe that says more about your circle of acquaintance than it does musicians in general.

5. jhan

jhan Guest

Wow snyderz, maybe you need to lighten up a little. There was no angst in mu question.

6. Actually, I've noticed exactly the opposite with musicians. Ed may be on to something...

7. krafty

krafty

Mar 22, 2010
    Holland, MI
    While I spend a lot of time actively listening to very few genres of music (but oh, the hours I could spend talking about the sub-genres of those) I appreciate almost all genres. While I don't actively seek out classical music I think I have a pretty enlightened understanding of its influences in lots of music, especially when it comes to rock and metal. The same with some types of blues and jazz.

If someone really is ignoring everything but one genre than it's their loss, but I think you're jumping to some conclusions. If you ask them and they say "yeah, man, all I care about are the Ramones and the Sex Pistols" then I kinda feel sorry for them, but I believe most musicians aren't that shallow.

I hate to say it, but I've been pigeon-holed mainly because of what's coming through my speakers on a daily basis, but with the exception of "nu-country", some of the really monotonous rap stuff and the hipster-centric nerdcore stuff I listen to pretty much everything and enjoy it based on my mood. Most people just happen to catch me in my metal mood! :bassist:

8. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Well Said...

9. I haven't run into that with most musicians that I hang with. I am a punk musician at heart but I play and listen to a broad spectrum of music. In fact as I write this I am listening to Stanley Clarke's album School Days.

10. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Same here.

11. I listen to anything, with the exception of opera. I have nothing against it, just that I haven't been exposed to that piece of music that makes me "get it."
    I play in punk, bluegrass and progressive rock bands and I've played in electronic improv bands.
    I just love music.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I completely agree with Ed, baba and Marco. Only 'limited listeners' I know are my non musicians friends.

13. I think this is probably pretty close to reality.

14. Same here, I listen to everything from jazz to death metal.

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I don't intentionally limit myself to a strict genre, but I know that for me there's an archetype that influences my musical tastes. I can find it in a variety of groups, and time periods, but it still is a fairly consistent set of criteria. I don't know that that makes me any better than someone whose criteria are all found in one tight genre.

For example: Does liking Mahavishnu Orchestra, Devo, and Slayer because all of them explore degrees of chromatic progressions and non-standard times in a rock setting make me any better than anyone else's limited genre focus?

16. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    hangout with people who aren't douchebags.

17. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    I only really saw this when I was younger-- as people were often expected to listen to a certain type of music, which was usually a genre that at least overlapped with what the rest of their "circle/clique" were listening to. Just as in middle and high school, if you dressed or acted a certain way- then you musical tastes would be "known" by others.
    As most people get older there tastes expand in many areas---

18. jhan

jhan Guest

That makes sense actually.

19. jhan

jhan Guest

Ok folks. As I said, I didn't make this post with any degree of angst. I was just curious.

Once again we see the phenomenon of people saying things on posts that they would never say to someone's face. Rude is rude, no matter how you look at it.

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'd say exactly what I said to your face.