limiter light

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, May 17, 2005.

1. i just got a new peavey nitrobass head and the limiter flashes red even when the preamp is at about 2 1/2 and master is at about 7. is this ok? or what should i do to prevent it if its harmful.
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Limiter should flash only when you play with maximum force on your bass.

If its flashing too much either use the active input/switch on your head, or back down on the volume from the bass itself. If you use any kind of pedal or DI back down the volume on that until you aren't clipping.
  3. yea its when i play hard, but i play hard most of the time, i found a way to make the light not go on but its kinda not loud. any sugestions?
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Turn the master down and the pre up.
  5. wouldnt that give me a dirty sound?
  6. i dno if it makes a dif. but im using a carvin 2 10 cab(400 watts) and a carvin bass (tuned B E A D) with 18 volt electronics
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Don't play loud. Let the amp do most of the work. See any of the 100,000+ threads on how to get more volume from your amp: don't cranks the lows, don't cut the mids, don't run everything full blast.
  8. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Part of your issue could be you're playing a B string with that Carvin 2x10...
  9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The problem is that your Nitrobass has reached T.O.F. You need to up your wattage. Maybe an RMX1850HD?
  10. carvin cabs=crap according to harmony central. carvin amps=great modern technology
  11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    When the limiter is lighting up, something is clipping. If you are running either the preamp or the poweramp too hard, they will clip. If the signal going into the power amp isn't powerful enough, it takes more to amplify it, and therefore makes it clip easier. Unless this is a preamp clip problem, in which case there would be something wrong with the head.
  12. Id say thats the problem, seems like quite a hot output from that bass too
  13. in the back cavity of the bass you can change the output of each strings and the overall out put of the magnet humbuckers and th pezzio pik ups, should i turn those down?
  14. or, you know, just turn down the volume dials a bit :p
  15. but that gets anoying having the volume up like half way, i have a weird problem with that...some kinda ocd with having knobs on my bass all the way up or all the way down....yea
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, either turn the output down from the preamp (the back of the bass) or turn the volume down from the main vol. on the bass...your signal is too hot into the amp...

In the long run, think about working on playing lighter...I used to play hard and after years of it, my hands gave up on me...I HAD to learn how to play correctly.
  17. Yes,

I like your suggestion on turning the overall output of the bass down. If the strings are each at about the same level volume wise then leave the individual adjustments alone. If not then I suggest you turn the overall level down first so you can hear subtle differences and adjust each string so they are approx. same level then adjust the output level.