Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Limiter, Peak qustion.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Sep 7, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, no how you kinda scared to ask stupid qustions at the risk of seeming stupid? WELL I DONT! So, someone clear this up for me. i have a 350 watt head. and a 350 RMS Cabinit. its an 8ohm so im only putting 200 watts into it. now, this is really stupid but........when i have the limter button pushed in, why when i turn up loud, but not even 200 watts, does the PEAK light come on? shouldnt i be able to pump it all out? and im guessing if i keep playing with the PEAK light on, it would fry or kill something....what would it kill? not that im going to, but i would like to know somethings about my amp. what would happen if i turned the limiter off?

IM THE KING OF DUMB QUSTIONS! BOW BEFORE ME!

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i believe you are peaking the capabilities of the amplifier, not the speaker or anything... ifyour'e capable of producing 200 watts, and the peak light is on a lot, it means that you're right around that 200 watt range quite often. I don't think it's bad for the amp, as long as it sounds okay. another possibility is that you are peaking the preamp, if that's the case, you can turn the gain down, and maybe still have some room to turn the vomume up... what kind of amp is it?
    hope i helped a little... and don't worry... i ask stupid questions ALL the time.. how are you supposed to learn if you don't?

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks. my amp is a tube pre-amp, soildstate power section hybrib thing. so i wont fry any thing by keeping it at the peak light? i was aslo wondering what would happen if i turned the limiter off. o ya, its got a crapy late distorsion pre-amp tube in it.

Anyone?

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    if it sounds okay, i don't think you'll fry anything.. you might wear through the preamp tube faster... but by pushing the preamp you enter the fuzzy area between tube warmth and tube distortion. If it sounds like its distorting in a bad way, farting or watever.. then you're clipping, and clipping is very bad for the speakers, and i think bad for the amp... if you turn off the limiter, you'll most likely start clipping, and that's bad.. moral of the story.. if you want to get louder.. you might have to buy another (bigger) amp.. the only other option is see what happens when you use less gain and more volume, or vice versa...
    goodluck..