Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Limiter Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Nanny, Sep 14, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a GK 1001RB-II head, and a new acquired Ashly DPX200 Parametric EQ/Compressor-Limiter unit. I wish to use the compressor mainly as a limiter, as I have a decent compressor pedal to use when I need it.

Question: for a limiter (mainly for speaker protection), should I put the limiter in the effects loop, or before the amp?

Thanks!

2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    help...bump

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sorry - I didn't see the thread --

For serious speaker protection limiting, the answer is DEFINATELY in the loop!

Picture it: Before the amp is before the volumes, EQing, everything(!), so if you have your EQ tweeked, for instance, it's going to boost or attenuate these peak limited peaks, possibly compromising your protection - not to mention all the other controls..

Now if you put it in the loop -- right ahead of the power amp -- you can twist all the knobs you want, and the resulting signal - what EVER it looks like - is going to be limited before it gets to the power amp.

It's not like it DOESN'T protect your speakers the other way, though. It does sound different ahead of the EQs and voicing stuff. It's not WRONG to put the limiter first by any means, unless the entire purpose of the limiting is to almost-failsafe protect - then it definately should be in the loop.

Joe

4. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks Joe!

OK...one more related question...when my threshold is in the negative dbs, I'm getting a nasty distorion. Is that normal? This happens regardless of my rate, attack, or release.

thanks!

5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Hey it's chris. That compressor likes a hot signal. Use the gain control to pump up the signal to the compressor so that the input meter is getting a good spike. You can get the manual at ashly's web site. The button on the back links the eq and compressor by the way. If it is out, you will not be able to increase your signal with the gain. Billy sheehan uses this compressor in his effects loop with the preamp turned all the way up and the compressor output controls his volume. Also experiment with the threshold. The distortion will go away. This limiter is not as simple as a pedal but can get a better sound. Work with it.

6. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks Chris! I fixed the knobs on it, btw...a little crazy glue goes a long way LOL.

Did you get better results by putting the entire rack in the effects loop, or just the compressor portion of it? Also, if I'm cranking the Gain (on the EQ side) while its all in the loop, is their any risk of damaging the GK amp?

Thanks!

Steve

7. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    That unit sounds great in the effects loop. It may be the only unit I have ever heard that I prefer this way. The gain shouldn't hurt anything, if it's distorting, it's too high. It's easier to get a good sound in the loop but with some experimenting, it works well first in the chain. The effects loop will drive the compressor harder and therefore you may not need the gain control turned up as high. The compressor section distorts like you described when it's not getting enough signal and the threshold is in the (-).