1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Limiter question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Scionreality, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    During one of my bands' songs I run a Guv'nor into a Morley Power Wah/Volume and it gets just the right sound. It also pumps up the volume a LOT. I happen to have a Boss Bass EQ pedal already, so I put that after it with the volume fader down to compensate. I don't really use that pedal anymore for anything else, so that's its whole purpose in life now.

I'm thinking about replacing the EQ with a Boss Limiter/Enhancer, but my concern is that the hard limiting will change the sound too much.

I admittedly don't know much about limiters/compressors. All I'm hoping to do is keep the volume down to "normal."

What do you guys think? Worth the $80?

2. IMO if you have something that does the job, and you don't need it for anything else, why spend more money?

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed, as long as the Power Wah doesn't have any big resonant peaks ("wolf notes", "speaker-destroying moments in a narrow frequency range"). The Guv'nor is already compressing your signal, and certainly does not increase your dynamic range, so it does not need a limiter, just a volume knob. The Power Wah doesn't do any compressing (not enough to discuss anyway), and if it doesn't have any big resonant peaks then it is not increasing your dynamic range, and thus would only need a volume knob (which is your Boss EQ). If OTOH the Wah does have some big resonant spikes, you can do two things: (1) use your EQ to lower only the level of the frequency range where the spike happens; or (2) use a limiter.

4. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    Thanks.

As is, my setup is fine then.

I have a WD-7 that I haven't used much yet, but have noticed that it does often get those resonant peaks in certain settings. If -that- becomes a problem, then I'll consider the limiter.

And I just got my Diesel Dawg in the mail yesterday. We'll see how (if) that monstrocity behaves. :D:bassist: