Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

limiter...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clothsnake, Jun 19, 2004.

1. clothsnake

clothsnake

Apr 3, 2004
    I have a peavey series six, xp bass head. I play very percussively, and recently the limiter light has taken to coming on a lot... i don't recall this happening previously.

i use a non active bass, and have a 'smile' setup on the eq with the top and botom shelving on about half to two thirds. i use the compression all the time and it is set quite strong. i also use the punch set in.

is this something i ned to be concerned about?

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Nothing is a problem as of yet, as long as you keep the limiter engaged, if you turn it off, that's when your poweramp will begin to clip, and then you'll be in a world of hurt.

First off, I'd try to bring the eq back down to a "flat" setting. Nothing boosted, nothing cut. Then cut some of the frequencies that you dislike, if you must boost, do very little. Boosting the bass frequencies is what's making your limiter kick in. Bass takes a lot of power to reproduce at volume.

3. clothsnake

clothsnake

Apr 3, 2004
    cheers...

have been sure to keep the limiter on... thankfully.

i will certainly try what you suggest... it's the middle frequencies that i dislike, and should be able to pretty much cut them rather than boost the top and bottom ends i suppose