Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lincoln Goines Recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I've recently picked up a couple albums with Linc holding down the bass chair. What are some of your favorites?

Thanks...

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Tell more about that guy Bernie, I was looking at a DVD at FNAC the other day with him holding the bass chair, but didn't risked it.

3. One of the only recordings I have of him is on Avenue Blue featuring the guitarist Jeff Golub. The CD is called Naked City.

If you are into R&B/Jazz mix you will love this one, it has some great tunes and Lincoln really holds it all together. I know he has done more than one recording with this band.

I would love to hear more suggestions as well.

4. Hey Luis,

As I'm not real familiar with Lincoln myself, I will copy and paste a mini-biography from the net.

Born in Oakland, California, on October 2, 1953, Lincoln Goines has had a very busy sideman carreer as on electric and upright-acoustic bass. At 23 years of age he played the New York Kool Jazz Festival with John Handy. His ability to incorporate latin lines with ideas drawn from percussion patterns proved vital to with many latin-influenced jazz groups.

He has established himself strongly in that style having played with Gato Barbieri, Tito Puente, Mongo Santamaria, Paquito D'Rivera, Tania Maria, Michel Camilo and Dave Valentin. In association with drummer Robby Ameen, Lincoln has co-written an instructional book entitled "Applying Afro-Cuban Rhythms To Jazz, Funk and Rock For Bass and Drums" which has received rave reviews from such musicians as Will Lee, Dennis Chambers, John Patitucci and Ruben Blades.

He has also been the bass drive of the jazz-funk quartet the Mike Stern/Bob Sheppard Band showing off a more aggressive side of his playing.

Lincoln Goines has earned himself a great deal of respect in the music community, having toured and recorded in the past ten years with such other great jazz artists as: Eliane Elias, Dave Grusin, Bob Mintzer, Bob Moses, Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Rollins, John Scofield and Leni Stern.

What DVD did you see that he was on??

5. I'll have to pick that one up then!

I have Play from Mike Stern and Return from Bill Connors. Both great albums!

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    One of my favorite players! :bassist: Just like the rest of the NYC Fodera boys [Anthony Jackson, Matt Garrison, Tom Kennedy etc], he has a long list of great recordings. Some of my faves are....the improv work he has done with Wayne Krantz..'Long to Be Loose" & 2 Drink Minimum, some of the old Dave Valetin albums....the Live At The Blue Note has some nice solos on it.....and the before mentioned Bill Conners new album. Great player....like the above lNYC list, they bring something great to almost every recording I have with them on it

7. Cool thanks, man! I'll definitely check them out.