1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Linda Fralin vs. Fender "Original" JB pu

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by carved czech, Mar 24, 2006.

1. I have Fender "Original" Jazz bas pickups on my old Fender JB. Thinking about some improvement by Linda Fralin singles. Can anybody compare them with Fender "Originals"? I am looking for the vintage sound with more middle growl. Play jazz and big band. Thanks.

2. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I put some Fralins into my long gone 69' Jazz Bass because I couldn't stand the noisy original pickups anymore. Night and day.
    Noise reduced considerably (bear however in mind they're single coils too) and the bass improved in definition and consistency retaining all his vintage character. Definitely a great improvement.

3. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I ran into Mike Lull in a children's toy store, of all places, and told him about my new GL Jazz. He said the best upgrade to do to that bass would be to drop in some Lindy Fralin pickups.

Now if I only had some money...

4. Thanks Michell,
    BUT I was asking about the NEW Fender´s "Original Jazz Bass pickups" (sold for replacement) - not the OLD ones.
    Anyway, I believe Fralin´s will be better...

5. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Oops, sorry man .... anyway LFs are very nice sounding pickups! ;)

6. Michele, no problem. Thank you.I have ordered LFs today. I love to play through vintage all tube head Fender Bassman 100 to Ampeg PT210H 400w/4Ohms cab, so I need to add some middles into my sound.I am courious if LFs will work better (they have higher DC Resistance)than Fender Original Pickup...

7. Hello, I quote my own thread:
    Yesterday I have received Lindy Fralin´s Jazz Bass singles and put them in my 1968 FJB. The sound was really VINTAGE and warm! I could not stop playing... So all that I have read about Fralin´s IS the truth.

8. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    The only Fender pickups that I have heard come close to the 60's Vintage vibe are the 62 RI Jazz pups.

9. Are they sold by Fender on the market?

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I have a Lakland JO4 with them and it sounds amazing. Great pickups.

11. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I have lindy frailin pickups in my Mike Lull VJ4 and I get comments all the time about how great the bass sounds. Other bassists and studio engineers often tell me how great the sound is, especially considering that it's a passive bass. Of course, the tone is in my fingers, but why spoil their excitement.:)

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The Fralins in my JO5 are great. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them or buy them for another JB.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My 2000 MIA natural/maple necked jazz has Fralins in it, out of all my basses it is my staple bass! It's the bass I use when I don't want to worry about what kinda sound I may get from the room I'm playing in. It always sounds clean no matter how the tone knob is set. I also own a MIM p-bass with Fralins in it :)